Roxy Walsh makes paintings in watercolour. Her most recent wall paintings are simple geometric shapes whose forms/lines/edges are extraploted from architectual oddities or the light fall in the spaces in which they are made.
The studio work uses, at different times, figurative, symbolic, textual and abstract means. There are diaristic and obscene paintings as well as landscapes, and figures that are mythological and symbolic. The most recent work is, broadly speaking, abstract: concerned with materiality more urgently than with depiction.
Walsh also works with Sally Underwood, a sculptor. Together they make large scale architectural installations where painting and sculptures inhabit and make space for each other. This work develops Walsh’s longstanding interest in how visitors experience work in galleries and museums – how a spatial or textual segue can be used to open up space for reflection. Recent shows have had parallel text works from Anne Enright, George Vasey and Simon Clarke.
- MA Fine Art, Manchester Polytechnic 1986
- BA Painting, Manchester Polytechnic 1985
Roxy has worked as a lecturer in Art at Goldsmiths since 2008. She has previously taught at Kingston University (2006 – 8), University of Newcastle (1994 – 2006), University of Leeds and Manchester Polytechnic.
Recent exhibitions with Sally Underwood:
- 2015 - Without, Chandelier Projects, London (Accompanying essy by Simon Clarke, Finissage with performance by Simon Clarke and readings by Liz Berry) Outwith. Art Exchange, University of Essex, Colchester (Accompanying essy by George Vasey)
- 2014- Mac International, Belfast, Annunciation (Group exhibition)
- 2013- Dependent Rational Animals Towner, Eastbourne (reviewed in Art Monthly, Sept 2013, George Vasey. Catalogue with text by Anne Enright, ISBN 9 781871 360226)
- 2012 - Igloo for Fishmarkert at.. Northampton / Globe Gallery, Newcastle
R.S.V.P.Drawings of Daphne, 10 block-printed hand-finished cards
Walsh, Roxy. 1994. R.S.V.P.Drawings of Daphne, 10 block-printed hand-finished cards.
External examiner for MA Painting, Royal College of Art
Walsh, Roxy. External examiner for MA Painting, Royal College of Art.