Sound Practice Research (SPR) is a research group that integrates and advances the innovative activities of EMS composers and researchers.
Primary page content
The Goldsmiths Electronic Music Studios (EMS) has been a leading centre for electronic music and the sonic arts since its founding in 1968 by Hugh Davies.
Fields and concerns include, but are not limited to:
- Phonography, soundscape studies and field recording
- Improvisation and live algorithmic music
- Interactive audiovisual performance
- Acousmatic composition, including multi-channel
- Utterance, including sound poetry and text sound composition
- Site-specific and gallery based sound installation
To support its commitment to innovative practice, SPR will engage inapposite activity in the following areas:
- Foster musicological and analytical research
- Promote knowledge transfer and collaborative and interdisciplinary ventures
- Instigate outreach and open access pedagogic activities
- Maintain and enhance audiovisual archives, including the Daphne Oram Collection