Creativity in the community languages classroom; pedagogies and professional development.
Primary page content
This project, funded by the Nuffield Foundation, builds on the creativity strand within the project. It investigates the potential for using creative works (stories, dance, drama, art works, multimedia) in the teaching of community languages as a stimulus for learners’ own creativity.
The project, based on fieldwork in four London schools – two mainstream, two complementary - demonstrates the important contribution that creativity can make in relation to language and literacy, cognition, intercultural understanding and personal and social development. It also shows how resources in the home and community can be drawn upon to support students’ multilingual learning. Project Director: j.anderson (@gold.ac.uk)
- Anderson, J. and Chung, Y-C. (2010) Community languages, the arts and transformative pedagogy. In Race Equality Teaching, 28 (3): 16-20
- Anderson, J. and Chung, Y-C. (2011) Finding a voice: arts based creativity in the community languages classroom. "International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism", 14:5, 551-569.
- Anderson, J. and Chung, Y-C. (Forthcoming) Community languages, the arts and transformative pedagogy: developing active citizenship for the 21st century. Citizenship Teaching and Learning
- London InstEd Summer 2011 (PowerPoint download) featuring teacher of Arabic at Sarah Bonnell School, London Borough of Newham and former PGCE Languages student at Goldsmiths, as part of the Goldsmiths research project 'Creativity in the Community Languages Classroom'
- Creativity in the community languages classroom (PowerPoint download)
- Our Languages: Regional Training Event for Community Languages Teachers (PowerPoint download)
- 'Happy Families' - a cross-phase Panjabi language and arts project (PowerPoint download)
Professional development resources
- Art Based Creativity in the Community Language Classroom (PDF)
- Art Based Creativity Community Languages Cover (PDF)
- Scheme of Work for Tamil (Word)
- Scheme of Work for Tamil Appendix (Word)