Liz Morrison is the Deputy Head of Department, Secondary PGCE Programme Leader and Deputy Examinations Officer. Liz has extensive experience of Initial Teacher Education - she has been working in the sector for almost 20 years. Liz joined the Department of Educational Studies at Goldsmiths in 2012.
Before becoming a secondary science teacher Liz was a research chemist, with post-doctoral research positions at University College London and the National University of Singapore. Liz worked for about 10 years in inner London Secondary Schools as a science teacher, a Head of Year, KS3 science leader and a Deputy Head of the department. While in school Liz’s main area of research was in the supporting transfer of pupils from KS2 to KS3 through collaborative science practice. Liz provided CPD for primary teachers and ran outreach projects.
Initially, Liz taught on the secondary science PGCE course and established the part-time route into secondary science teaching at Goldsmiths. Liz led the secondary science course before becoming the Secondary PGCE Programme Leader in 2013. Liz currently leads the SPIRE (Studies in Professional Issues and Research in Education) module. Liz has extensive experience in curriculum design and implementation. Liz has also led the school experience module and supported student teachers and mentors in school, recognising the importance of a strong partnership in successful teacher education.
Liz has led a range of CPD sessions for school teachers mainly focusing on supporting early career teachers. Liz also leads CPD on science pedagogy.
Liz is also a guest lecturer on the BA Education, Culture and Society year 2 module - An Introduction to Teacher Education.
- BSc (Hons) Applied Chemistry (Thames Polytechnic, 1983)
- PhD Organometallic Chemistry (Thames Polytechnic, 1986)
- PGCE (University of Greenwich, 1993)
- University of Brighton: PGCE Secondary Science (QTS) programme
- London Metropolitan University: PGCE Secondary Science (QTS) programme
- University of East London: Subject Knowledge Enhancement Programme (Chemistry)
- Kings College, London: PGCE Secondary Science (QTS) programme
- University of Hertfordshire revalidation: Secondary PGCE programme
- University of Sunderland revalidation: Secondary PGCE programme
- University of Middlesex validation: History with Geography programme
- Teaching and Learning Fellowship (2019) Embedding Action Learning Sets across PGCE Programmes
Kazim, R., Mahomed, A., Maloney, M. and Morrison, E. (2014) Developing a ‘dynamic’ and collaborative pedagogy for postgraduate certificate (PGCE) secondary mathematics students. Teacher Advancement Network Journal, vol 6 (3) p. 28 -36.
- Exploring science teachers’ conceptions of ionic bonding pedagogy
- Developing beginning teachers practice through collaborative practice
Publications and research outputs
Morrison, Liz and Pitfield, Maggie. 2006. Flexibility in initial teacher education: implications for pedagogy and practice. Journal of Education for Teaching, 32(2), pp. 185-196. ISSN 0260-7476