Sarah is a Lecturer in the Department of Computing. Her research focuses on Human Computer Interaction. Topics of interest include: the design of number and data entry interfaces particularly in the hospital, citizen science recruitment within HCI and the design of haptic technologies for use in cultural settings with a focus on users with visual impairments.
Sarah is also involved in public engagement and science communication work, which includes performing stand up comedy about her research, as well as giving talks at the Royal Institution and Science Museum.
- PhD in Human Computer Interaction from UCL 2014
- MSc with Distinction in Human Centred Interactive Technologies from University of York 2010
- BSc First Class Hons in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence from University of Edinburgh 2009
Goldsmiths, University of London:
- First Year Mathematical Modelling for Problem Solving
- Interaction to Digital Media
- Ergonomics for Design
- Interaction Design
- Controlled Lab Experiments for HCI
- Wiseman, Sarah, et al. "Use Your Words: Designing One-time Pairing Codes to Improve User Experience." Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2016.
- Wiseman, Sarah, et al. "The Effect of Interface Type on Visual Error Checking Behavior." Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. Vol. 59. No. 1. SAGE Publications, 2015.
- Tu, Huawei, et al. "Employing number-based graphical representations to enhance the effects of visual check on entry error detection." Interacting with Computers (2015): iwv020.
- Gould, Sandy JJ, et al. "Home is Where the Lab is: A Comparison of Online and Lab Data From a Time-sensitive Study of Interruption." Human Computation 2.1 (2015): 45-67.
- Wiseman, Sarah, et al. "Using checksums to detect number entry error."Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM, 2013.
Public Engagement and Science Communication
Publications and research outputs
Spiers, Adam J; van der Linden, Janet; Wiseman, Sarah and Oshodi, Maria. 2018. Testing a Shape-Changing Haptic Navigation Device with Vision-Impaired and Sighted Audiences in an Immersive Theatre Setting. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems, 48(6), pp. 614-625. ISSN 2168-2291
Wiseman, Sarah; van der Linden, Janet; Spiers, Ad and Oshodi, Maria. 2017. Control and Being Controlled: Exploring the use of Technology in an Immersive Theatre Performance. DIS '17 Proceedings of the 2017 Conference on Designing Interactive Systems, pp. 3-14.
Wiseman, Sarah; Soto Mino, Gustavo; Cox, Anna L.; Gould, Sandy J. J.; Moore, Joanne and Needham, Chris. 2016. Use Your Words: Designing One-time Pairing Codes to Improve User Experience. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing,
Tu, Huawei; Oladimeji, Patrick; Wiseman, Sarah; Thimbleby, Harold; Cairns, Paul and Niezen, Gerrit. 2015. Employing Number-Based Graphical Representations to Enhance the Effects of Visual Check on Entry Error Detection. Interacting with Computers, 28(2), pp. 194-207. ISSN 0953-5438
Gould, Sandy J.J.; Cox, Anna L.; Brumby, Duncan P. and Wiseman, Sarah. 2015. Home is Where the Lab is: A Comparison of Online and Lab Data From a Time-sensitive Study of Interruption. Human Computation,
Wiseman, Sarah; Borghouts, Judith; Grgic, Dora; Brumby, Duncan P. and Cox, Anna L.. 2015. The Effect Of Interface Type On Visual Error Checking Behavior. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 59th Annual Meeting - 2015,
Jennet, Charlene; Furniss, Dominic; Iacovides, Ioanna; Wiseman, Sarah; Gould, Sandy J.J. and Cox, Anna L.. 2014. Exploring Citizen Psych-Science and the Motivations of Errordiary Volunteers. Human Computation,
Conference or Workshop Item
Farkas, Timea; Denisova, Alena; Wiseman, Sarah and Fiebrink, Rebecca. 2022. 'The Effects of a Soundtrack on Board Game Player Experience'. In: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ’22). New Orleans, Louisiana, United States 30 April - 5 May 2022.
Farkas, Timea; Wiseman, Sarah; Cairns, Paul and Fiebrink, Rebecca. 2020. 'A Grounded Analysis of Player-Described Board Game Immersion'. In: CHI Play 2020. Virtual Event, Canada 2 - 4 November 2020.
Wiseman, Sarah and Lewis, Kevin. 2019. 'What Data do Players Rely on in Social Deduction Games?'. In: CHI Play 2019. Barcelona, Spain 22–25 October 2019.
Morris, Rees and Wiseman, Sarah. 2019. 'Choosing a Side: How do Players Pick a Game when Entering the MOBA Genre?'. In: CHI Play 2019. Barcelona, Spain 22–25 October 2019.
Wiseman, Sarah and Gould, Sandy J.J.. 2018. 'Repurposing Emoji for Personalised Communication: Why pizza slice emoji means “I love you”'. In: CHI '18: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. Montreal, Quebec, Canada 21 - 26 April 2018.