UCAS Teacher Training code
1 year full-time
This programme will enable you to teach across the curriculum in two consecutive primary school age ranges, with either French, German or Spanish as a specialist subject. Our exciting and challenging course aims to develop both competence and confidence.
In this course you will follow an innovative structure combining three strands that will help you develop the knowledge, skills and understanding you need in teaching and learning modern foreign languages at primary level. You will be engaged in practical and theoretical enquiry, both in College and on a school placement, to enable you to reach your full potential as a qualified teacher.
You follow the same programme as other PGCE (Primary) students, but also take these modern languages elements as part of curriculum studies:
- theories of second language learning and some aspects of bilingualism
- pedagogical approaches to modern language learning
- impact of parents, teachers and socio-cultural context on language learning
- critical and analytical approach to teaching strategies and resources
- curriculum design for primary modern language teaching (QCA guidelines for KS2, linguistic progression, differentiation, assessment)
- planning of modern languages in conjunction with other curricular areas (cross-curricular links with literacy, numeracy, citizenship, ICT, etc)
- planning the implementation of modern languages into primary school and the transition from primary to secondary education
- a linguistic component to support the development of your own language skills
- a cultural component (awareness and understanding)
- school experience in England. As part of your school placement, you teach French, German or Spanish alongside all other curriculum areas
You will have to cover your travel costs to your school placements. We produce reading packs electronically and in hard copy format. There’s a small charge for the hard copy reading packs. You may also be asked to contribute towards trips and some materials for your modules..
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Department of Educational Studies
Two modules are offered at Masters (M) level. These are General Professional Studies – a classroom-based research project with a pedagogic focus – and Curriculum Studies, which has an integrated focus in which there are a number of options. School Experience is offered at higher (H) level.
For the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), you are also formally assessed on your competence in the classroom and your ability to meet Department for Education Professional Standards including computer-based tests in literacy and numeracy, which are now a condition of entry to the programme.
Download the programme specification for this degree to find out more about what you'll learn and how you'll be taught and assessed.
Please note that due to staff research commitments not all of these modules may be available every year.
How to apply
You apply for this PGCE through the UCAS Teacher Training website. Our institution code is G56 GOLD.
There's no closing date for primary or secondary applications, but we advise you to apply early to avoid disappointment.