Caroline Frizell (UKCP, RADMP, Dip Sup SAP)
Caroline Frizell is a UKCP registered Dance Movement Psychotherapist (DMP) : see: UK Council for Psychotherapy and is also registered with ADMP UK as a private practitioner and supervisor: see: Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy UK ) . She holds a diploma in supervision from the Society of Analytical Psychology (SAP) (see: The Society of Analytical Psychology) Caroline has been a lecturer at Goldsmiths since 2007 and served as Programme Convenor for the MA Dance Movement Psychotherapy from 2010-2019. She is now Admissions Tutor for this programme.
Originally from a professional dance training (1976-79) Caroline has developed her research and practice with particular reference to inclusive community and disability as a marker of difference within the context of the dynamics of the human relationship with otherness. The principles of psychodynamic DMP, eco-psychology and New-Materialism underpin her approach. After publishing widely in these areas, she is currently engaged in a PhD by publication.
For the past two decades, Caroline has been an active member of the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy (ADMP UK) and during that time, she has served as editor for e-motion the quarterly journal and as a member of the Professional Development Committee, the UKCP working group and the Education and Training Committee. This has supported her in ensuring that the MA DMP training is closely aligned to developments in the professional field. Caroline is also on the editorial and advisory board of the journal ‘Dance Movement and Spiritualities’ and Goldsmiths’ representative for the European Consortium for Arts Therapies Education (ECArTE).
Location: Laban Annex
- UKCP registered Dance Movement Psychotherapist
- MA Dance Movement Psychotherapy
- Diploma in Supervision: Society of Analytic Psychologists (SAP)
- Professional Practice
- International Group
- Academic Skills
- Case Study research
- Experiential Groups
- Working with Movement Response
Areas of supervision
Caroline is willing to supervise research in the following areas: adults and children
- Frizell, C. (2017) Entering the world: Dance Movement Psychotherapy and the complexity of beginnings with learning disabled clients. Chapter 1 in Dance Movement Psychotherapy with people with learning disabilities Oxon, Routledge ISBN 978-1-138-96332-0
- Frizell, C. (2014) Discovering the Language of the Ecological Body. In: Self & Society: an International Journal for Humanistic Psychology 41 (4), pp. 15-21. ISSN 0306-0497
- Frizell, C. (2014) Reflections on the Dance of Despair. In: Transformations, the Journal for Psychotherapists for Social Responsiblity (PCSR) Winter 2013/14, pp.9-11
- Frizel, C. (2013) Whole Earth Healing. Review of "The Life of Things: therapy and the soul of the world" by Bernie Neville. In Therapy Today (May 2013)
- Frizell, C. (2012). Embodiment and the supervisory task: The supervision of Dance Movement Psychotherapists in training. Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy, 7(4), 293-304.
- Frizell, C. (2012) Call of the Wild: Book review of 'Vital Signs' in Therapy Today, 23 (6), p. 46. ISSN 1748-7846
Caroline was External Examiner to the Dance Movement Psychotherapy MA at Derby University 2013-2018. She is also on the Education and Training committee for the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy (ADMP UK).
She is a peer reviewer for two international research journals: Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy and Journal of Dance and Spirituality and is a member of the editorial board and peer reviewer for Journal of Dance and Spirituality. Caroline reviews book transcripts for Routledge. Caroline also regularly reviews books for Therapy Today the professional journal of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
Caroline is a member of the organising group for the Ecopsychology UK annual conference and organiser for the Ecopsychology South West regional group. She is also a member of Psychotherapists and Counsellors for Social Responsibility (PCSR).