Dr Cristina Ros i Solé
Cristina Ros i Solé is an interculturalist, language educator and applied linguist. Her research lies at the interface of Multilingualism, Interculturality and Identity and draws on post-humanism, new materialism and post-qualitative methodology. She is also interested in intersectionality, decolonialisation and social justice.
Cristina is editor of 'Liberating Language Education' (with Lytra, Anderson and Macleroy 2022), 'Vibrant Identities' (with Fenoulhet and Quist 2020), and author of 'The Personal World of the Language Learner' (2016). Through her leading of Seminar Series and Debates in Language Pedagogy at King's College London and University College London, she has been at the centre of dissemination of research on language learning and teaching at UK universities. She is currently working on her latest book: 'Language Collections: Living multilingualism with everyday objects'.
She is Chair of the International Association of Languages and Intercultural Communication.
- PhD in Educational Linguistics (King's College London)
- MSc in Applied Linguistics (University of Edinburgh)
- MA in English Philology (University of Barcelona)
Teaching and Supervision
- Busra Akun. The Negotiation of multilingual repertoires from Turkish-speaking children in the UK.
- Lydia Petrova. The unique experience of late foreign language learners of English with Bulgarian native language background
- Maria Cristina Zaror. Childrens’ literacy in pre-school years.
- Joaquim Oppenheim. Learning a “difficult” language. A study of high-level, long-term language learners.
- MA Education Culture Language and Identity
- BA Education Culture and Society
Cristina's research places languages and cultures as inseparable from history, memory, feeling and place, whilst arguing that living in different languages can be a life-transforming but also a political and challenging personal experience.
In order to investigate these themes, Cristina's work draws on a variety of disciplines such as Applied linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Anthropology, Film Studies and Material Culture. Here are two of the projects she is involved in:
(1) Intercultural Comforts: making sense of home in the internationalisation of Higher education. This project seeks to shift current market-driven and non-inclusive perspectives on the internationalisation of Higher Education (HE) by placing students' linguistic and intercultural encounters and their 'home-making' practices at the centre of their campus experience. It seeks to offer an account of students' intercultural sense of 'home' that juxtaposes feelings of being 'out of place' alongside processes of 'evoking home'.
(2) Language Collections (book): living multilingualism with everyday objects. 'Language collections' looks at the key role of personal collections and cultural artefacts for constructing multilingual speakers’ subjectivities. It provides a new way of looking at what we understand by interculturality at the interface of the intimate and the material.
Cristina has given numerous talks and is a regular reviewer for several book publishers and Journals in Applied Linguistics, Intercultural Communication and Language Education. She is in the editorial board of the Languages and Intercultural Communication Journal.
Publications and research outputs
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2016. The Personal World of the Language Learner. London: Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9781137528520
Lytra, Vally; Ros i Sole, Cristina; Anderson, Jim and Macleroy, Vicky, eds. 2022. Liberating Language Education. Bristol: Multilingual Matters. ISBN 9781788927932
Lytra, Vally; Ros i Sole, Cristina; Anderson, Jim and Macleroy, Vicky. 2022. Introduction: Why Liberating Language Education? In: Vally Lytra; Cristina Ros i Sole; Jim Anderson and Vicky Macleroy, eds. Liberating Language Education. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, pp. 1-20. ISBN 9781788927932
Lytra, Vally; Ros i Sole, Cristina; Anderson, Jim and Macleroy, Vicky. 2022. 'Conclusion: Language Education Collages'. In: Vally Lytra; Cristina Ros i Sole; Jim Anderson and Vicky Macleroy, eds. Liberating Language Education. Bristol: Multilingual Matters, pp. 321-330. ISBN 9781788927932
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2022. The Textures of Language: An auto-ethnography of a gloves collection. In: Vally Lytra; Cristina Ros i Sole; Jim Anderson and Vicky Macleroy, eds. Liberating Language Education. Bristol: Multilingual Matters. ISBN 9781788927932
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2014. The paradoxes of language learning and integration in the European context. In: David Mallows, ed. Language issues in migration and integration: perspectives from teachers and learners. London: British Council, pp. 55-78. ISBN 9780863557378
Rifeser, Judith and Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2022. Film-making as creative praxis: capturing the intimate side of interculturality. Language and Intercultural Communication, 22(2), pp. 221-234. ISSN 1470-8477
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2022. Lived languages: ordinary collections and multilingual repertoires. International Journal of Multilingualism, 19(4), pp. 647-663. ISSN 1479-0718
Ros i Sole, Cristina; Fenoulhet, Jane and Quist, Gerdi. 2020. Vibrant identities: finding joy in difference. Language and Intercultural Communication, 20(5), ISSN 1470-8477
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2018. Re-visiting the Unhomely through Languaging. Language and Intercultural Communication, 19(1), pp. 38-50. ISSN 1470-8477
Ros i Sole, Cristina. 2014. The paradoxes of language learning and integration in the European context. Language Issues, 24(2), pp. 4-18. ISSN 0268-5833
Further profile content
The Personal World of the Language Learner (Palgrave Macmillan)
Vibrant identities and finding joy in difference
Special Issue 'Vibrant identities: life, materiality and the posthuman' in Language and Intercultural Communication Journal
Lived languages: ordinary collections and multilingual repertoires
Journal Article (International Journal of Multilingualism)
Liberating Language Education
(forthcoming) Edited volume with V. Lytra, Jim Anderson and Vicky Macleroy. Multilingual Matters
1. Ros i Solé, C. (forthcoming, 2022). The textures of language: An auto-ethnography of a gloves collection. In Lytra et al.
Languages of the Wider World Seminar Series- UCL/SOAS HEFCE Centre for Excellence in Languages of the Wider World (2010-2015).
Convenor of the AHRC-funded 'Language Acts and World-making Debates'. King's College London (2017-2018)
Goldsmiths Research Centres/Groups
Conferences and talks
Vivencias and lifeworlds in the Spanish classroom. See a description of this talk in the blog of the CLCL at Goldsmiths.
Invited Talk at Princeton University (USA). Department of Spanish and Portuguese. Doctoral Programme.
Styling the self: the force of ‘language objects’
AILA World Congress: Ways of ‘becoming’: Exploring new materialist perspectives in Educational Research Symposium
Vibrant rags and languagers' wardrobes
Symposium/Talk at Language Acts and Worldmaking Conference. University of Westminster.
Rifeser, J. and Ros i Solé, C. (forthcoming 2022). Film-making as creative praxis: capturing the intimate side of interculturality. Journal of Language and Intercultural Communication.
Ros i Solé, C. (2018). Re-visiting the unhomely through languaging. Language and Intercultural Communication 19 (1), pp. 38-50. ISSN 1470-8477. https://doi.org/10.1080/14708477.2018.1545026
Ros i Solé, C. (2014). Language Learning and Integration in the European Context Language Issues 24 (2) pp. 4-18.
Ros i Solé, C. (2013). The Cosmopolitan Language Learner: perspectives from Lesser Taught Languages. In M. Byram and P. Holmes ‘Teaching and learning intercultural communication in the second/foreign language classroom’. The Language Learning Journal, 41:3.