My research interests cover the fields of cultural communication, especially in relation to film. With a background in philosophical anthropology, I am also particularly interested in surrealism as a social and cultural phenomenon.
Most of my recent publications are located in this area of research, most notably the editing of a three-volume International Encyclopedia of Surrealism, published by Bloomsbury in 2019. I am currently working on books on The Philosophical Foundations of Surrealism and Surrealism in Relation to the Hollywood Film of Love. I have also recently edited and translated André Breton’s L’Art magique, to be published by Fulgur in September 2022.
I have previously been a Visiting Professor at Waseda University (2004-7) and Hitotsubashi University (2011-12) in Tokyo.
Publications and research outputs
- The International Encyclopaedia of Surrealism (Editor in chief, Bloomsbury, 3 Vols, 2019)
- Surrealism: Key Concepts (with Krzysztof Fijalkowski) (London: Routledge, 2016)
- The Surrealism Reader: An Essential Anthology (edited with Dawn Ades) (London: Tate Publications, 2015)
- On The Needles of Days: Surrealism and Photography in Czechoslovakia (with Krzysztof Fijalkowski and Ian Walker) (London & New York: Ashgate, 2013)
- Otherness in Hollywood Cinema (New York: Continuum Books, 2010)
- Surrealism and Cinema (Oxford: Berg Publishers, 2006)
- The Experience of Culture (London: Sage Publications, 2001)
- Surrealism Against the Current: Tracts and Declarations (edited with K. Fijalkowski) (London: Pluto Press, 2001)
- Georges Bataille: Essential Writings (London: Sage Publications, 1998)
- Refusal of the Shadow: Surrealism and the Caribbean (London: Verso, 1996)
- Georges Bataille: The Absence of Myth (London: Verso, 1994)
- Georges Bataille (London: Routledge, 1994)
- ‘The Entry of Ancient Egypt into Surrealism’ Nka, Journal of Contemporary African Art, issue 49, Vol 2, 2021
- ‘Colette Peignot: The Purity of Revolt’ in Anna Watz (ed) Surrealist Women’s Writing: A Critical Exploration (Manchester University Press, 2020)
- ‘Open The Locksmiths: On the Collaboration between Surrealism and Positif’ in Abigail Susik and Kristoffer Noheden (eds) Surrealism and Film After 1945 (Manchester University Press, 2020)
- ‘”Existence is Elsewhere”: Parmenides in the Light of Surrealism’, (in French), Revue de la poésie in toto, issue no 1, 2020
- ‘The Foolishness of Living: Georges Henein Between Worlds’ Dada/Surrealism, Vol 19, issue 1, 2013
- ‘The Wolves at the Door of the Mind: Tony Earnshaw in the Musroid World’ in Les Coleman (ed) Anthony Earnshaw: The Imp of Surrealism. Sheffield: RGAP, 2012