Teacher Training Code
1 year full-time
Secondary schools need good Maths teachers. This exciting and demanding programme will prepare you to become an effective and high-quality Maths teacher, with a particular focus on the unique demands of working in a multi-ethnic London comprehensive school.
Why study PGCE (Secondary) Mathematics at Goldsmiths?
- Get to know the different parts of the Mathematics curriculum, and possible teaching approaches. You will also review your maths experience, and identify any gaps.
- You’ll have the opportunity to explore the use of Information Technology in teaching Mathematics, and explore different approaches to assessing pupils.
- Develop your skills in planning, teaching, and managing whole classes, and taking responsibility for them over a sustained period of time. This includes aspects of assessing, recording and reporting on pupils’ attainment, and catering for a range of achievement levels.
- You’ll learn about ‘whole-school’ issues, and about contributing to a school’s pastoral life – this will include a project on a whole-school or cross-curricular theme.
- Mathematics sessions at Goldsmiths will focus on broadening your knowledge of resources for teaching, longer term planning, and the post-16 curriculum.
It is also possible to study this course via our School Direct programme. Please visit our School Direct page to see which schools offer this subject.
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Dr Sipho Morrison.