Campus mobility guide
Information about accessing our buildings for visitors with mobility difficulties.
Primary page content
The Goldsmiths campus comprises a number of new and older buildings (some dating from Victorian times). The campus is relatively compact and it's possible to go from one end of campus to the other, within ten minutes.
Most of the larger buildings used for teaching purposes have step-free access, lifts and accessible toilet facilities. Every single building can't claim to be fully accessible, but there's no reason why anyone should be prevented from full participation in Goldsmiths activities, with a little bit of advanced planning.
If you have any questions about the accessibility of Goldsmiths, please email disability (@gold.ac.uk). If you are thinking of attending a particular event in any of our buildings on campus, and you have mobility needs, please do contact the person or the department organising the event, in advance, and seek their advice.
If you are travelling by car, please contact the person you are visiting at least 48 hours in advance, so that they can make arrangements with College Services to accommodate you, as appropriate.
Richard Hoggart Building
- Fully wheelchair accessible (except for one or two rooms in the south west corner)
- Three lifts, two in east corridor and one in Department of Music corridor
- Accessible toilets in both corridors (ground and first floor)
Full accessibility guide for the Richard Hoggart Building on AccessAble
Library (Rutherford Building)
- Entrance doors are quite heavy but there are automated doors
- There are turnstiles on entry, but one is wide enough for anyone using a wheelchair
- Two lifts, one near the front, one to the rear
- Accessible toilets in area where stairs are located
Full accessibility guide for the Library on AccessAble
- Card entrance required and card or code entrance to most floors
- Has a lift but this is not usable in an emergency and therefore wheelchair users and mobility impaired students are advised to avoid visiting this building unless strictly necessary.
Full accessibility guide for the Warmington Tower on AccessAble
Margaret McMillan Building
This building was previously known as the Education Building
- Has a lift. The lift is not usable in an emergency but there are refuge areas should evacuation not be possible without assistance
- Accessible toilets
Full accessibility guide for Margaret McMillian on AccessAble
Goldsmiths Students’ Union
Full accessibility guide for Goldsmiths Students' Union on AccessAble
Laurie Grove Baths
- Entering the building: there are two doors, the door on the left is the one to use as the one on the right has steps up to it
- There is an accessible toilet on your left as you enter the building
- Access to the studios is via a ramp down to the studios
Deptford Town Hall Building
- Particularly unsuitable building for wheelchair users and mobility impaired people due to the number of stairs and no lift
- An automated stair climber for wheelchair users is available.
- Contact estates (@gold.ac.uk) or call 020 7919 7121 in advance to arrange access.
Full accessibility guide for Deptford Town Hall on AccessAble
Loring Hall Management Centre
- Accessible reception area
- Entry phone system
Full accessibility guide for Loring Hall Management Centre on AccessAble
St James Hatcham
- Wheelchair accessible throughout with an accessible toilet near the front of the building
- Access to the front is via a ramp
- There is an internal platform lift
Full accessibility guide for St James Hatcham on AccessAble
Ben Pimlott Building
- Has 2 lifts
- Accessible toilets
- Card access with automatic doors
Full accessibility guide for Ben Pimlott Building on AccessAble
- Ramped access to front
- Swipe entry system
- Lift to upper floors, the porters have a key
- Accessible toilet
- Two entrances at either end of the building
- Doors are card access, door adjacent to lift is automated
- Has a lift. The lift is not usable in an emergency but there are refuge areas should evacuation not be possible without assistance. The lift is located at the far (south) end of the building
- The accessible toilet is located by the stairs in the main lobby area where the lecture hall is (Ian Gulland Lecture Theatre)
All locations are accessible to wheelchair users via lifts and ramps, except for
- Lockwood Annex 5 (design classrooms)
- Lockwood basement (textiles workshop)
Full accessibility guide for Lockwood Building on AccessAble
Professor Stuart Hall Building
All locations are accessible to wheelchair users via lifts and ramps. Accessible toilets on every floor.
Full accessibility guide for Professor Stuart Hall Building on AccessAble