Standard Visitor visa

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you only intend to stay inside the UK for up to 6 months.

Primary page content

This visa category will allow you to come to the UK if you are 16 years or older and satisfy one of the following conditions:

  • If you have an unconditional offer for an accredited short course at Goldsmiths or going to join our Study Abroad programme for 1 term
  • Please note that we are not able to offer visa support for the following short courses
  • If you are enrolled on a course equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree overseas and plan to come to Goldsmiths for up to 6 months to carry out research as part of your overseas study
  • If you are an Erasmus student
  • If you are retaking some of your exams or coursework or need to attend a viva and need to re-enter the UK after your Student visa has expired

You must have enough money to support yourself during your stay, including any tuition and accommodation fees, in addition to living costs.

Applying for a Standard Visitor visa

If you are a visa national, you must apply for entry clearance before you come to the UK. This means you have to apply for your visa before you travel. 

If you are a non-visa national, you can usually obtain entry at the border by providing a copy of your Goldsmiths offer letter.

In some circumstances applying for prior entry clearance is recommended, especially if you have a complex case/immigration history. In these circumstances, you should follow the process of a visa national, which is to apply for prior entry clearance

If you have to apply in advance of your travel, it usually costs £95 for a 6-month Standard Visitor visa.

You should bring any supporting documents you submitted with your application with you when you travel, as the border officials may still ask to see these documents when you arrive.

There is no minimum English language level required to apply for this type of visa and you can study full or part-time.

Your visa when in the UK

  • You cannot do any kind of work or work placement/internship even as part of your studies
  • You cannot apply or switch to any other category of visa while in the UK, and cannot extend your visa
  • You would need to leave the UK and apply for a fresh visa if you need to return to the UK

You must not intend to use this visa route frequently/successively. Frequent use is defined by UKVI as seeking a second period of leave under the Standard Visa route where less than 2 months have passed since you last visited the UK for the purposes of the short-term study. Successive use is defined by UKVI as applying in excess of 5 periods of leave under the visitor route within a 5-year period.

Visa nationals

If you are a national of one of the countries listed on GOV.UK, you will need to apply for a visa before you travel to the UK.