The MA in Designing Education is a unique programme that enables students to explore the relationship between designing and education, through radical pedagogies, design thinking methods, creative processes, and practical applications of design.
We aim to uncover new areas of the application of design to contribute to education, learning and teaching practices, and develop radical new forms of education, practices, and discourses.
We take a broad approach to applying designing to many forms of education including, public engagement, and educational participation in commercial or non-commercial organisations, in museums or galleries, within an international context of arts NGOs or charities, or in Schools, Colleges or Universities.
Why study MA Designing Education at Goldsmiths
- Learn to apply design methods and design thinking to education. (If you are a designer you can learn about applying your skills to education, or if you are an educator or from a non-design background you can learn to use design within education)
- Develop and apply a critical framework or pedagogy for your own practice within the context of education
- Work collaboratively in a small group within a practice-based design studio environment
- Develop practice-based projects in a multidisciplinary group
- Rethink education and learning practices to be purposeful, and include diverse international perspectives, that can contribute to education in a wide range of contexts
- Access international research expertise through practice-based research
- Be part of an international designing education network
- Develop your interests, creativity and curiosity through directed study and mentored independent projects
Who should apply
MA Designing Education is a good fit for the following:
- You may have a degree in design or a related creative field and want to focus on the educational applications of design and designing
- You could have expertise in a non-design background and want to learn how to harness educational approaches using design and designing in audience or community participation or change
- You may be a qualified teacher and want to develop your expertise in design and designing at a postgraduate level for a variety of educational contexts
- You may work in public engagement and want to develop or specialise in your career to use design and designing
- You may want to use design and designing for participation in a variety of educational contexts
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Mike Waller.