We're committed to developing our postgraduates into skilled researchers who can conduct rigorous research using a variety of methods and analytic techniques.
- Supervision can be offered in any of the areas of departmental activity.
- During your first year you may take a range of taught modules including research methods, theory, and statistics; requirements will vary depending on any postgraduate training you have already undertaken.
- You will attend and contribute to research seminars, and through departmental and Goldsmiths-wide modules you will also be encouraged to develop practical skills such as public speaking, poster preparation, scientific writing, and how to interact with the media.
- You will meet regularly with your supervisor, and develop a structured approach to designing, executing, analysing and writing up your research.
- You will have access to the Department of Psychology's range of laboratories, testing rooms and research equipment. You will also have an annual allowance to contribute towards your research expenses and/or conference attendance.
- Find out more about research degrees at Goldsmiths.
What kind of research could I do?
- We are able to support PhD research in most areas of psychology. Some students have already formulated specific research ideas before they apply here, and find a supervisor in the department who is able to help them develop these into a doctoral research programme; if this applies to you, see information on the expertise of all our staff and contact any who you think may be able to help you to pursue these.
- Other students are attracted by the research interests of our staff, and may decide to undertake a project that has been suggested by them and which relates to their ongoing research. To explore these or other research ideas, start by emailing the member of staff whose research interests you and make arrangements with them to discuss research ideas.
- You need to agree on a research proposal with a potential supervisor before you apply to the programme.
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Madoka Kumashiro.