Goldsmiths works in partnership with the University of London Worldwide on a distance learning version of this programme. Find out more on the University of London course page.
The MSc Data Science will provide you with the technical and practical skills to analyse the big data that is the key to success in future business, digital media, and science.
The rate at which we can create data is rapidly accelerating. According to IBM, globally, we produce over 2.5 quintillion bytes of data a day. This ranges from biomedical data to social media activity and climate monitoring to retail transactions. These enormous quantities of data hold the keys to success across many domains from business and marketing to treating cancer or mitigating climate change.
Why study MSc Data Science
- The MSc in Data Science will prepare you to join a new generation of data scientists that are highly in demand across multiple industries.
- You’ll learn to combine the statistical skills of data analysis and the computational techniques needed to carry out this analysis on a large scale.
- You’ll learn the mathematical foundations of statistics, data mining and machine learning, and apply these to practical, real-world data.
- We’ll equip you with the computational techniques needed to efficiently analyse very large data sets.
- With guidance from industry experts, you’ll put your skills to the test using real-world data to analyse trends in social media, make financial predictions, and extract musical information from audio files.
- You’ll carry out original analysis on real-world data through your final project, which allows you to focus on your specific research interests.
- You’ll use industry-standard software such as Apache Hadoop and Spark to analyse data from industries such as biomedical, financial and social media.
- We have close links with leading industry professionals, who regularly deliver lectures and talks on Data Science.
- You’ll learn from experts in the Department of Computing and the Institute of Management Studies. Many faculty members bring their knowledge from active research and consultancy in a wide range of sectors.
As well as MSc Data Science, we have the following pathway options that give you the chance to specialise in a particular industry area. For each MSc Data Science pathway, in addition to the pathway-specific skills, you’ll learn core skills that are essential for data scientists such as statistical analysis, programming, machine learning, data visualisation, and big data technologies.
In collaboration with Goldsmiths Institute of Management Studies, you’ll learn the skills to become the next generation of data science experts in sectors ranging from healthcare to business.
The pathway options are:
- MSc Data Science and Artificial Intelligence
- MSc Data Science and Financial Technologies
- MSc Data Science and Econometrics
- MSc Data Science and Marketing
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Dr V L Raju Chinthalapati or Alan Zucconi.