Teacher Training Code
1 year full-time
This programme encourages an interactive teaching approach that builds confidence, develops understanding of how the language system works and leads to purposeful language use. It provides you with the tools to make the study of language stimulating for the full range of learners.
Why study PGCE (Secondary) Modern Languages at Goldsmiths?
- Choose between French, German, Spanish, Arabic, and Mandarin Pathways. (Availability of Arabic and Mandarin places depends on available placements; we advise that you apply early to avoid disappointment)
- You’ll work with young people from a wide range of backgrounds, aptitudes and needs. This is challenging as well as exciting, and the programme offers a gradual and supportive introduction to the classroom. You'll spend time in subject-specific groups, looking at issues and resources particular to their languages.
- We'll help you to understand what constitutes ‘good practice’ in teaching.
- We encourage students to develop a second or third teaching language, and we build in opportunities for you to teach each other.
- You’ll have the opportunity to use stories, songs, drama, multimedia, and artworks in your practice.
- Learn how to develop engaging content and teaching strategies. You’ll have the chance to work with Primary PGCE colleagues to look at the implication of teaching languages in primary schools on policy and pedagogy.
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Faris Sanhaji.