Goldsmiths can make reasonable adjustments to aspects of university life, including assessments and examinations.
Primary page content
Universal Reasonable Adjustments
All students who provide evidence of a disability will receive Universal Reasonable Adjustments whilst studying at Goldsmiths.
Universal Reasonable Adjustments include:
- 10 working-day deadline extension on all written assignments
- 25% extra time in timed exams or take-home paper
- Permission to record lectures
- Access to teaching material in advance
Full list of adjustments to study and assessment
- a 10 working-day deadline extension on all written assignments
- 25% extra time in timed exams held on site
- For take-home papers, you will either be given this extra time as the date of the deadline + 25% or the 25% extra time will be factored into the deadline. You are advised to check the take home paper instructions carefully or speak to your School Hub
- Your work will be marked according to the marking guidelines. Please note that some subjects may require the spelling, grammar to be assessed and therefore the application of those guidelines will be limited
- Permission to record lectures where recording is not made available by the department. These recording are for the sole personal use using your own device. In some instances, the content of the lecture will contain confidential information which cannot be anonymised or is subject to confidentiality rules set by an external Professional Body validating the course. In those cases, please talk to Disability and Inclusion for alternative form of support
- Pre-course information to be made available the week before teaching starts on all modules (module overview, information about module leader, office hours, assessment details, reading list, class schedule)
- Access to all teaching resources (at the very least the structure of a session) to be made available 48hrs / 2 working days before sessions
- Fully accessible Word, PowerPoint and PDFs. When coding, maths and Latex formats cannot be made accessible at the outset, please contact the Disability and Inclusion Service for alternative form support and adjustments to access this material
Universal Reasonable Adjustments in the Library
- Access to the Assistive Technology Centre (ATC)
- Access to alternative formatted resources on request
- Book fetching and carry service
- Bespoke library tour - how to book
- Extended time (14 days) to return books recalled by the Library
- Library welcome email outlining available Library support
Other Library services available to all students:
- Booking one-to-one appointments with Subject Librarians, Study Skills Tutors and Royal Literary Fellows
- Access to automatic renewals
- No fines applied to late returns of book
To receive these adjustments you need to send us evidence.
In most cases, you will not need to meet with us and the adjustments will automatically be applied after we review your evidence.
Register with the Disability Service to request Universal Reasonable Adjustments.
Apply for additional adjustments and a RASA
If you believe that you need additional adjustments to Universal Reasonable Adjustments, we can create an individual support plan called a Reasonable Adjustment Support Agreement (RASA).
Examples of additional adjustments that can be included in the RASA:
- Arranging for taught sessions to be in rooms fitted with induction loops
- Use of accessible rooms
- Use of a computer in exams
To apply for a RASA, you must meet with a Disability Advisor who will work with you to create it. Make an appointment.
Exam reasonable adjustments
Once you have Universal Reasonable Adjustments or a RASA, your reasonable adjustments will automatically be put in place to support you during your exams. You do not need to do anything.
You will receive an individual exam timetable sent to your student email account which will list the adjustments that are in place.
If you believe there is an issue with your exam timetable, contact the disability team via email@example.com.
Coursework - additional time
As part of the Universal Reasonable Adjustments, your extensions are applied automatically by the School Hubs, so that you can use the extension whenever you need it.
If you have missed a coursework deadline because a serious event has unexpectedly affected your studies, you can apply for extenuating circumstances. This process is separate from the deadline adjustment offered to you as a disabled student.