Go Abroad widening participation criteria

This is the criteria that applicants must meet to apply for Global Opportunities widening participation funding

Primary page content

Goldsmiths aims to support students from all backgrounds to access opportunities abroad. Additional support and funding are available to students from certain backgrounds who are underrepresented in the study and work abroad opportunities. Below is our criteria for additional funding. If you would like to discuss any of these criteria please contact us.


  • You must be a UK domiciled student - must have been living in the UK for 3 years by the start of your undergraduate degree. If you are a postgraduate/PhD student, you must have been resident for at least three years not including any period of study)

You must also meet at least one of the following criteria: We will initially use the student record system to confirm eligibility but may follow up by email for more information.

  • Household income below £25,000 – this is your parents’ household income unless you’re an independent student as defined by Student Finance. UG only
  • Mature students on an undergraduate programme over the age of 21 at the start of their undergraduate degree
  • Be currently resident and a resident for 3 years prior to enrolment in Lewisham or in a low participation postcode area (Young participation quintile 1 or 2 in the POLAR4 classification). You can search to see whether your postcode is eligible using at officeforstudents.org.uk
  • Accessed Higher Education via an access course or integrated degree.
  • Care Leaver (someone who has been in the Care of your Local Authority for an period of 13 weeks or more, spanning your 16th birthday)
  • Student parent or carer
  • Student with a learning difficulty, health problem or disability in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowance
  • Student identifying as Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic
  • Student from Gypsy, Roma and Traveller Communities
  • Student who is the first generation in their family to attend university - UG only
  • Have refugee status in the UK, or have an active application for asylum in the UK (you will be required to provide documentation to demonstrate your status)