Accident reporting

Students must report any accidents, incidents or near misses– whether the event happens at Goldsmiths or away from the campus but part of your studies.

Primary page content

Download the Accident Form

It should be emailed to healthandsafety (

Use the form to report:

  • first aid incidents
  • work or premises-related accidents and ill health
  • acts of violence (physical and verbal abuse and threats)
  • injuries arising from road traffic accidents, as part of your Goldsmiths activities
  • non-injury incidents that had the potential to cause harm (dangerous occurrences or "near misses")

Health and safety concerns

If you have a concern about a health and safety issue you can report the matter to the Health and Safety Office.

If someone is injured, Goldsmiths will need to address the causes of the accident and report on what action we’re taking to stop it reoccurring. If it’s a serious or complicated case, the Health & Safety Office will help a department to do this.


It is important incidents are reported to the H&S Office promptly, as certain incidents have to be reported to the enforcing authority within strict timescales.

Report serious incidents (i.e. those needing an ambulance or A&E treatment) and dangerous occurrences immediately by telephone (0207 919 7119), followed by a completed accident form within 24 hours.

Other incidents (minor first aid and near misses) should be reported on an accident form to the H&S Office no later than five days after the incident.

Responsibility for completing the form

The department, section or person responsible for the activity must ensure a form is completed.

Security staff or first aiders may complete a form if they have provided first aid, however the responsible person must still submit a report of the accident from their perspective.  If they are able to do so the injured person must sign the form, if they can’t, someone acting on their behalf can do this.

Required information

It is essential the report is as factual and accurate as possible as this may be used as part of any future investigation.

Any equipment involved in the accident should be retained for inspection.

To assist the investigation a note should be made of environmental conditions at the time of the accident, for example:

  • the location of the accident should be as precise as possible
  • wet or slippery floors
  • condition of carpet or floor covering
  • weather and path conditions (if outside)
  • type of shoes worn
  • obstructions
  • visibility, e.g. lighting levels
  • manual handling tasks
  • any personal protective equipment issued for the task

If possible, include some photographs of the incident site.

The H&S Office will review each form and will usually follow up with the injured person or their department, to confirm the circumstances.

Where an investigation is required the form is forwarded to the responsible Head of Department along with the Health and Safety Investigation form. Serious incidents will be investigated by the H&S Office.

The form may be forwarded to others who can provide support or need to know for investigation purposes. For example:

  • Occupational Health
  • Insurance and Risk Manager
  • Student Services Hub

The information is also recorded on our Goldsmiths Accident Database, so that we can analyse and report on trends and for incident prevention purposes.

Data Protection, the Accident Form and RIDDOR

The information provided on the Accident form will be used to monitor, record and investigate health and safety incidents that take place on University grounds or during activities that are part of the University’s undertaking. The information will be processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act and is only disclosed within the University to members of staff who need to know it in order to carry out their duties.

Relevant information will be disclosed outside the University where it is required by law to do so. Anonymised data may also be disclosed to the H&S Committee and relevant trade union officials.

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) requires the University by law to report certain major injuries, dangerous occurrences and ill-health conditions to the HSE (the enforcing body for health and safety) within legally set timescales.

All RIDDOR reporting is carried out by the H&S Office. Departments are responsible for informing the H&S Office of any incident that may be RIDDOR reportable so that the HSE can be informed.

RIDDOR sets out the requirement to report the following types of incident:

  • a specified injury (eg a fracture, amputation, crush injury)
  • a work/teaching related accident resulting in a non-employee (for example a student) being taken from the University to hospital for treatment
  • an employee being unable to do their normal work for more than seven days
  • a defined dangerous occurrence (e.g. significant fire, collapse of lifting equipment)
  • a defined work-related illness (e.g. work related upper limb disorder, asthma, dermatitis)

Further information on RIDDOR is available from the HSE leaflet reporting accidents and incidents at work (PDF).