Services and support provided
The aim of this facility is to provide guidance and support throughout the various stages of producing a printed image from the scanning stage to final output. Application support for PhotoShop, FreeHand, QuarkXpress and Fontographer is available, but a rudimentary knowledge of programs is expected.
The main areas of support:
- Calibrated digital colour output
- Large inkjet prints up to 1.5m wide
- Pre-press requirements
- Font library
- Laser halftone photo-positives for silkscreen and etching
- Support and contact with printer services and bureaux outside of college
Equipment and facilities
- 4 work stations
- For booking purposes these are numbered and set up for specific tasks
- A4 Hi Resolution scanners
- Inkjet printers: 24” Wide - 42” Wide - 60” Wide
- Laser printers: A4- A3 Black and white, Colour Laser printer
All of the laboratory computers are connected by a fast LAN network, which enables work to be transfered to any workstation and to be backed up. The network allows transfer of files to other Art Laboratories across the campus and can be accessed from the Goldsmiths Library.
Equipment, facilities and processes (traditional)
Intaglio - Etching
- 1 Rochat Etching Press (48” x 26” bed)
- 1 Seggie & Son Edinr Etching Press (48” x 26” bed)
- Acid cabinet
- Aquatint box
- Metal guillotine
Processes: hard and soft ground, monoprints, aquatint, photo-etch, dry point and engraving using Zinc plates.
- 3 x vacuum acreen printing tables (40” x 52”)
- Self contained UV Exposure Unit (Metal Halide)
- Drying cabinet with light table
- Print drying racks
- Screen cleaning booth with power washer
Facility for printing colour separations, photo and hand painted stencils using Acrylic water based printing inks onto a variety of substrates. (paper, board, canvas, glass, metal, perspex ect)
- Abion Press (20” x 25” platern)
- Albion (Wood engraving (12“ x 7” bed)
- Nipping Press (18” x 24”)
Processes: woodcut, wood engraving, linocuts.
Essential printing tools are available for use in the laboratory.
A refundable deposit is required for any tools or equipment taken out of the laboratory.
You must inform on-duty staff before comencing any work in the laboratory.
Barrier cream, protective gloves, and face, eye, and ear protection are available and must be used where appropriate.
Good hygiene in keeping the Laboratory well ordered and clean is expected at all times.
Smoking, eating or drinking is not allowed in the laboratory.