Working with a Student visa after studies

After your course has ended, you should have additional time (wrap up period) on your Student visa to remain in the UK.

Primary page content

Extra time on your Student visa

How much extra time you have will depend on the total length of your course:

  • Less than 6 months = 7 days
  • Between 6 months and 12 months = 2 months
  • 12 months or more = 4 months

The end date of your course is stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement. It is this end date that UK Visas and Immigration will use to calculate how much extra time to give you after your studies.

As soon as your official course end date arrives, you can work full time until your visa expires providing you have successfully completed your studies.

However, you will still be under the same Student visa restrictions for the type of work you can undertake during this period. You are still expected to observe the working conditions attached to your visa, which include:

  • Not filling a permanent vacancy (unless you have applied for a Skilled Worker Visa and completed a degree level qualification or higher. If so you can start work even if it's a permanent vacancy)
  • Not becoming self-employed (unless you have applied for a Start-up visa and your last Student visa was granted on or after 1 October 2019)
  • Not working as a professional sportsperson or entertainer

We do not recommend that you travel outside of the UK between your course completion date and your visa expiry date, since you may have trouble re-entering the UK if you are no longer studying.

Staying beyond your Student visa

If you wish to remain in the UK beyond that period, then you will need to apply for visa permission to do so.

Find out more about the most commonly available visa routes for graduates: