Brexit information for students

Advice for EU/EEA nationals (including Irish Citizens) and their families about Brexit.

Primary page content

EU/EEA and Swiss students currently studying in the UK and their eligible family members can opt to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme and have until 30 June 2021 to make their application. 

If you have already entered the UK before and are away for a while and expect to return, you can apply to the scheme EUSS from overseas using the online app on an eligible Android or Apple device.

You will need your passport or ID card that has a biometric chip as the app will scan that information. You will also need to upload evidence of your residence in the UK – this can be an employer’s letter or enrolment letter from Goldsmiths.

Support and advice

We provide help and information for current and prospective students, as well as their families on what the UK's exit from the EU could mean.

EU/EEA and Swiss students can contact IAS with any questions they have about Brexit.

Current Goldsmiths Students

If you are a current EU national with a biometric passport or biometric national ID card, or a non-EU family member of an EU national and have a biometric residence permit (pink BRP card), then you can now apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, using the 'EU Exit: ID Document Check' app (which is available on certain Android and iPhone devices) to confirm your identity and then complete an application online or you can upload your documents via an application centre and complete the application online. 

You can find out where to scan your ID documents for the EU Settlement scheme via the website.

We recommend that you do apply and obtain either pre-settled or settled status and the deadline to do so is by the 30 June 2021.

Absences from the UK because of Coronavirus (Covid-19)

If you have been away from the UK for a considerable amount of time as a result of the pandemic and did not manage to return to the UK by 31 December 2020, then the Home Office may use discretion when making a decision your EU Settlement Scheme application.

The Home Office will consider (from a non-exhaustive list under each heading) whether the absence was 'because of the Coronavirus' 

  • one-off absence of up to 12 months
  • an absence which was not intended to exceed 6 months and did not exceed 12 months
  • an absence exceeding 12 months
  • a second absence for up to ‘12 months for an important reason’

In all cases listed above an acceptable reason for the absence is where you were "advised by your university or employer not to return to the UK, and to continue studying or working remotely from your home country, due to coronavirus". In cases where the absence (or second absence, where permitted) didn't exceed 12 months, an acceptable reason is where you were "advised by your university that, due to coronavirus, your course was moved to remote learning and you were advised or allowed to return to your home country to study remotely."

If relying on any of these concessions, students must provide evidence with their application. The guidance EU Settlement Scheme: EU, other EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members contains a non-exhaustive list of evidence that caseworkers can accept. The guidance also includes an explanation of how absences that exceed 12 months will impact on applications for settled status.

Study Abroad/Erasmus

Leaving the EU with a Withdrawal Agreement ('Deal')

Now that the UK has left the EU with a 'deal, we will continue to participate in Erasmus+ until the end of the current cycle in 2020. EU funding for UK participants and projects will be unaffected for the entire lifetime of projects, including those that extend beyond 2020.

See the European Commission’s list of Partner Country Regions for more information. There is also useful information directly on the European Commission website.

You will need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you will be studying in the UK for less than 6 months, and if you are a non-visa national, this visa stamp could be obtained upon arrival at the UK border by presenting a course offer letter from Goldsmiths.

You should try and see a border official to get the appropriate visa stamp, but if you are not able to and come through via the eGates, then you should retain evidence of your proof of entry to the UK (i.e. flight details/boarding pass) as we may require the details for our records.

If you are a non-visa national and have previously had immigration issues in the UK, then please do contact us ahead of travel so we can advise accordingly.


Prospective Goldsmiths students

Brexit deal

EU/EEA and Swiss nationals and your eligible family members who entered the UK by 31 December 2020, can apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to remain living in the UK beyond 31 December 2020. The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.

If you will be arriving in the UK to study after 31 December 2020 and not a returning UK resident, then you will need a visa to study in the UK. For a full-time programme, this would mean applying for a Student visa and for Study Abroad/Erasmus courses less than 6 months would require a Standard Visitor visa.


Family Member of EU nationals

Your family members who are EU nationals and already living in the UK (or arrived by 31 December 2020) can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Non-EU family members can also apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

For more information about parents, guardians, families and friends please read UKCISA's advice on how Brexit may affect the family members of EU/EEA students and their family members

Irish Citizens

If you are an Irish national, Brexit will not change your status as Irish nationals  are automatically deemed to hold settled status in the UK, therefore you are not required to do anything as a result of Brexit.

However, you can continue to apply for British citizenship if you meet the requirements. In particular, you must not have been absent from the UK for more than 450 days in the five year period before you apply, or 90 days in the year immediately before the application.

Comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI)/EHIC

Comprehensive Sickness Insurance

Those applying under the EU Settlement Scheme will not be required to show that they held comprehensive sickness insurance during their time in the UK.

For more information about healthcare please read UKCISA's advise on healthcare while studying in the UK

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

The UK Government has confirmed that an EHIC can continue to be used in the UK and other EU countries. UK residents will be able to apply for the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) once their EHIC expires.

You may find the webpages below useful to refer to;

Tuition Fees

Courses beginning after 2021

The UK Government announced on 23 June 2020 that EU/EEA/Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for ‘home’ fee status from August 2021 and neither will they be able to access financial support from Student Finance England.

However, this will not apply to EU, EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement and it will also not apply to Irish nationals living in the UK.

The Admissions or Fees Team will be able to assess your tuition fee status during the course application process.

Further information

Further information can be found:

  • provides information for EU staff and students from the UK government
  • Universities UK (UUK) is the Higher Education sector’s representative body with guidance for university staff and students

This page was last updated on 18 June 2021.