Image description

Providing medical and diagnostic evidence

Student page

The Disability Service requires medical and/or diagnostic evidence of your impairment, condition or Specific Learning Difficulty to establish your entitlement to disability support and funding.

Forms of evidence

Physical, sensory or long term health conditions

Letter from a doctor

Any medical evidence if in the form of a letter should be signed, dated in the last six months and on headed paper. It should include details of:

  • The diagnosis and date of commencement
  • Expected duration of the condition or impairment, or confirmation that it is ongoing
  • The impact on normal day-to-day activities
  • Potential difficulties when using public transport, where relevant
  • Details of side effects of prescribed medication, where relevant

Medical evidence form

Download the Medical evidence form (Word document)

This can be given to the GP or other appropriate qualified professional. It cannot be completed by a therapist or counsellor. 

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) such as dyslexia

A diagnostic report from an assessment conducted after the person’s 16th birthday.

The report must be written by either:

  • A registered psychologist
  • A suitably qualified specialist teacher, holding a SpLD Assessment Practicing Certificate

Goldsmiths offers further guidance and can arrange an assessment for students who have, or think they have, a Specific Learning Difficulty.

Autistic Spectrum Disorders

A written statement or letter from a doctor, or appropriate qualified medical professional, which confirms a substantial and long term adverse effect on the individual’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

Alternatively, a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) issued by a Local Authority can be given.

Sending us your evidence

Payment for evidence

It is your responsibility to obtain evidence and pay any fees incurred. 

However if you provide medical evidence in good faith and this is deemed unacceptable proof of disability then financial support can be provided.

Goldsmiths will reimburse up to £50.00 if:

  • Evidence was considered acceptable by the Disability Service, but has been rejected as inadequate by Disabled Students Allowance
  • Evidence was not considered acceptable by the Disability Service, but the Disability Adviser believes that you are likely to demonstrate a disability if further evidence is sought
Was this page helpful?