Local Healthcare, doctor and GP

Page content

How to find healthcare near Goldsmiths and register with a doctor/GP.

Having access to good a good local doctor/GP is, an important part of your own self-care.

GP (Doctor) in Lewisham

London is split into different NHS healthcare trusts.  If you are living in New Cross and the nearby areas you will be in the Lewisham and Greenwich Trust and can register with a GP near Goldsmiths.

Amersham Vale are a local GP surgery. The doctors and nursing staff are friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

A full range of GP services are available, including:

  • Contraception
  • Sexual Health Services
  • Mental Health Services
  • Travel Health
  • Immunisations (including Meningitis ACQY and MMR)

Any student can register for the first time or change their GP to one at Amersham Vale

Register with Amersham Vale GP Surgery online

Or you can register by visiting the surgery reception and completing two quick forms. Please also bring some photo ID in order to get full online registration, and access to on-line appointments and repeat prescriptions.

Amersham Vale Practice
Suite 5 
Waldron Health Centre 
Amersham Vale 
New Cross 
SE14 6LD
Telephone: 020 3049 3600

GP (Doctor) outside of Lewisham

If you live in a different area to Goldsmiths (eg Shadwell or Stratford) you will need to register with a local GP.  Use NHS Choices to find one close to you. Our Wellbeing Advisers can also help you find a GP.

Sexual Health Clinic

The Waldron Health Centre, in which the Amersham Vale Practice is based, provides a sexual health walk-in service, including the provision of contraception. The centre provides a confidential service and it’s usually quicker to visit the centre than your doctor.  You do not need to be registered with them.

Telephone: 020 3049 3500


Outside of surgery hours 

If you have minor illnesses, headache, stomach upsets, bites and stings, you should visit your local pharmacy. If you are worried about your health, but it isn’t an emergency NHS 111 is available to get you the right attention fast.  Always call 999 in an emergency. See the NHS website for more help on using the right service.


You can find at list of local dentists on nhs.uk.

How UK health care works

If you are new to the UK you can read a guide to the UK medical system on ukcisa.org.uk.