Mental health difficulties

We are all affected by our mental health, whether an event has triggered short term difficulties, or we are managing a longer term condition.

Primary page content

If you are experiencing new mental health symptoms, such as low mood or panic attacks, or have never sought help and feel you can no longer manage your difficulties alone, the Wellbeing¬†Advisers can help by:

  • Initially listening carefully to you about what is causing your difficulties and any impact these are having upon your studies or university life generally
  • Working with you to put a plan together which may involve signposting and referrals to appropriate support
  • Advising you of how best to liaise with your academic department when personal difficulties are affecting your studies

If you are managing a longer term mental health condition, such as Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression, Panic Attacks, Bipolar Disorder or Schizophrenia, you may also be entitled to support from the Disability Service.

Wellbeing Advisers and drop-in

Wellbeing Advisers are specialist practitioners who offer mental health advice and support to students with personal, emotional or mental health issues. Contact a Wellbeing Adviser by emailing wellbeing (

How the Disability Service can help

The Disability Service can arrange for you to speak to an advisor to discuss adjustments and the creation of a RASA.