Goldsmiths Student Village FAQs


Questions about applying for accommodation


What is the Goldsmiths Student Village?

The Goldsmiths Student Village is made up of three student halls of residence in the New Cross and Brockley area: Chesterman House, Surrey House and Raymont Hall.

As part of the Goldsmiths Student Village, Campus Living Villages will be in charge of the day-to-day running of the three halls and delivering improved accommodation with enhanced social and study spaces, more rooms and a greater range of room options to suit student needs.

How do I apply for accommodation?

Applications for accommodation in the Goldsmiths Student Village are made via the Goldsmiths portal.

Will I have to sign a contract?

Yes. Your contract will be with Campus Living Villages. If you are made an offer of accommodation at the Goldsmiths Student Village, please take time to read the contract and Village Rules prior to accepting the offer.

Contracts within the Goldsmiths Student Village Halls are for a minimum of 42 weeks for undergraduate students or 51 weeks for postgraduate students. Studios are available for a 42-week period and we also have a number of rooms for postgraduate students which are offered for a 42-week period.

When are my fees due? Will I have to pay anything in advance?

Generally, fees are due termly. Full payment plan options will be provided if you receive an offer of accommodation.

A security deposit of £200 is required to be paid at the time of accepting your offer.

Will I need a guarantor?

Yes, if you are made an offer of accommodation at one of the Goldsmiths Student Village halls, you will need to provide a guarantor.

As part of the offer acceptance process, you will be asked to provide your guarantor’s contact details including email address, home address and telephone number before you can accept your offer. Your guarantor will subsequently receive an email with a link to the Guarantor Agreement page.

If you don't have a guarantor and are offered accommodation, please contact Campus Living Villages directly prior to accepting your offer.


When can I move in?

Accommodation is usually available from the weekend before the academic term starts.

Our undergraduate and postgraduate contracts for 2023-24 accommodation will start on Friday 15 September 2023 and you will be able to book a check-in slot over the course of the move-in weekend. Students doing a PGCE are generally able to move in from the start of September in a selected number of halls.

If you are made an offer of accommodation at one of the Goldsmiths Student Village halls, your licence agreement will show the period covered in your contract.

Will I need to move out over Christmas and Easter?

Your contract will include the Christmas and Easter holidays. There is no need to move out and vacate your room at Christmas or Easter.

Questions about life at Goldsmiths Student Village

What happens if I can't pay my rent?

Please make sure you view the payment plan before accepting your room offer to make sure that you will have sufficient funds to support yourself whilst at university.

If you find yourself in financial difficulty, we urge you to speak to Campus Living Villages as soon as possible. They can discuss the difficulties you may be facing and will put you in touch with the appropriate support. There are also special bursaries that you may be eligible for, staff can talk you through all of your options. Non-payment of rent is very serious and can lead to eviction if left unattended. 

What facilities does the accommodation offer?

Students at Chesterman House will benefit from two small indoor social areas and a courtyard.

Students in Surrey House and Surrey House Annexe will have access to the Orangery and a study room.

Students in Raymont Hall will have access to a social area and study room.

Please note, access to the outdoor areas is limited during evening hours and overnight.

What happens if I leave the accommodation before the contract has ended? Can I leave my room before the end of the contract?

Contracts are for a minimum of 42 weeks for undergraduate students or 51 weeks for postgraduate students and if you leave early you will still be liable for the full term of the contract. It may be possible to release you from your contract if you are able to find a suitable replacement for your room or if you withdraw from your course.

Please visit our webpage to find out about the terms for withdrawal and contact Goldsmiths Accommodation Services on for more information.

If you need to cancel your place before your contract start date, please ensure you promptly contact Goldsmiths Accommodation Services on For more information, please refer to the Campus Living Villages cancellation policy for information.

What are the office opening hours at the accommodation?

Students at the Goldsmiths Student Village have 24-hour access to staff.

Is it possible to change rooms if I am not happy?

Room allocations at Goldsmiths Student Village are managed by Goldsmiths Accommodation Services. Please visit our webpage for more information.

If we can offer you an alternative room, and you do move, please be aware that any students moving to a more expensive hall will need to pay the outstanding difference in rent prior to moving rooms.

Please note, students who have outstanding hall fees at the time of applying for a room swap will not be considered until they have spoken with the Campus Living Village team and made arrangements to pay outstanding sums.

Please contact Goldsmiths Accommodation Services on for more information.

Who can I speak to if I have a problem with my flatmates?

You can raise any concerns by email to or in person at the reception.

You can also speak to a member of the Campus Support team for pastoral support and advice.

How do I report a maintenance issue?

Maintenance issues can be reported via the CLV portal.

I am an undergraduate student, can I stay in my room over the summer period?

You may be able to extend your stay over the summer period dependant on availability. Please discuss this with the team at the Goldsmiths Student Village.

Am I allowed an overnight guest?

A student will be allowed to invite one adult guest or visitor on the understanding that they do not cause annoyance or inconvenience to other residents. Please ensure you speak to your housemates to ensure they are happy to have someone in their home.

You will need to sign in (and sign out) your guest/visitor at reception, and they will need to show ID and confirm their current address.

We will work closely with local health teams to agree the best course of action, in the event of an outbreak. This may include introducing a no visitors/ no guests policy and other measures.

Please ensure you follow your hall guidance and refer to your accommodation agreement for further guidance on visitors and guests in student accommodation.

Who is responsible for cleaning?

You will be expected to clean your bedroom or studio, and, if you live with others, you will be jointly responsible for the cleaning of the communal areas of your flat. We would suggest you create a cleaning rota with your flatmates when you arrive.

Housekeeping operates across all three sites and is responsible for ensuring public communal areas are clean. Fortnightly kitchen inspections are carried out by Campus Living Villages management.

What can I do if I lose my fob?

Your fob will give you access to the main entrance, your flat, the laundry and communal spaces. If you lose your fob, please contact your hall office or security, who will give you access to the room and advise you on how to request a replacement fob from the Village team.

Please note you may be charged for replacement fobs, with no refunds given if old fobs are found.

Does the Village run social events for residents?

Campus Living Villages run a ‘Village Life’ programme – a series of chances for you to mix with other people living in the Village including movie nights, cookery demos, table tennis tournaments and BBQs.

As well as giving you the chance to socialise, make friends and learn new things, there are also advisory sessions on things like financial worries and help if you’re feeling homesick.