Continuing your studies

We can help your with your decision on studying for an MA or PhD and ensure you are doing it for the right reasons.

Primary page content

You might want to continue your studies after your current course. Perhaps you love your subject, hope to improve your career prospects, want to change direction or desire a career in academia. Goldsmiths offers a fee discount of 10% to all alumni who stay to study a postgraduate course.

Questions to ask yourself

  • Why do I want to study at postgraduate level?
  • Do I meet the entry requirements?
  • Do I know that I will achieve the desired outcome? If you are doing it to improve your chances of getting a particular job, have you researched this?
  • What course and institution will best suit my needs?

Different kinds of study

A Masters (MA, MSc, LLM) is generally a year-long taught programme involving a research project or dissertation. You can also spend a shorter amount of time taking a postgraduate diploma or certificate (often these are in more vocational fields).  You can find a searchable list of courses at

Specific qualifications may be required to enter some professions and are usually open to graduates with a range of degrees. Examples include a two year Masters programme in Social Work or the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).

A PhD or doctorate is a research degree needed for an academic career and you will spend three to four years producing an original piece of research. Most students complete a Masters before starting a PhD. For more information and to view opportunities, visit and

How to apply and funding availability

Most Masters applications are made directly to the university; some are through the UCAS website. Application deadlines vary so make sure that you do your research in advance.

Funding for postgraduate study is more complex than for undergraduate study. Visit Graduate Funding School to see which options might be available to you, or visit for further information. Special funding arrangements exist for teacher training courses and Masters programmes for social work or health care professions.

Personal Statements

A personal statement should focus on your academic interest and motivation for further study. has extensive guidance on applying for a Masters and writing a personal statement. You can book a CV appointment for feedback on your personal statement.

Further information

  • Book an appointment with a careers consultant to discuss your ideas and get advice on how to proceed
  • Keep your eye out for the Careers Service’s webinars and workshops on postgraduate study and doing a PhD
  • Visit Graduate Shcool and the Researcher Development Hub for a range of useful resources dedicated to Postgraduate researchers