Licences and guides

Copyright licences (current year)

CLA Higher Education Licence
Newspaper Licencing Agency (NLA)Licence
Educational Recording Agency ERA and ERA Plus Licence

Copyright and IP regulations

All use of copyright materials at Goldsmiths must be in accordance with copyright law including the Copyright Designs and Patents Act (CDPA) 1988 and subsequent amending legislation, the Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002, copyright licences held by the College and Regulations.

Guidelines for working with copyright licences

1. Scans for the VLE

Scans for the VLE must be provided and recorded by the Library and all requests should be made using the Goldsmiths Digital Copy Request Form. The licence allows for some works, owned by the College or copyright-cleared, to be scanned for distribution in the VLE. The Library can give detailed advice on the provisions of the licence. The Library sends an annual return to the CLA on behalf of the College. The Library does not charge departments for this service.

2. Printed course packs

Design and Print Services' request form includes a check on copyright status of material to be copied. Copyright material for use in course packs must either be covered by the CLA Licence, or you must have permission to copy and distribute it for that purpose. If you have been provided with a CLA checked digital copy for use in the VLE by the Library, you may under the terms of licence provide that file to Design and Print to produce a single paper copy for students on the specific course.

3. Broadcasts

Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is the off-air recording and media archive service available to staff and students of Goldsmiths as members of the British Universities Film & Video Council with an ERA+ license. This TV scheduling service allows recording of TV and radio programmes that are scheduled to be broadcast over the next seven days as well as retrieving programmes from the last seven days from a selected list of recorded channels. There is also access to an extensive archive. BoB material is accessed on the web by a streaming service similar to iPlayer and can be embedded in the VLE for access within the UK.

4. Films and sound recordings

Films may usually be shown for educational purposes under CDPA (see sections 34 and 35) but if you want to show a film or play recorded music to an audience or at an event open to the public, you are likely to require a licence. The companies Filmbank or MPLC provide licences - see the JISC legal briefing on the MPLC licence.

5. Web

When you intend to put your own and other's material on the web, you will need to make decisions about managing copyright and IPR. The Web2Rights animation on IPR in the web world and the Web2Rights IPR flowchart [pdf] will help you with these.

If copyright work is shown in a College-made video and then put on the Web, this is subject to the same obligations as more direct publication of the same material would have been.

6. Student work

Students own the copyright of their own work under copyright law, except as under contract. The College claims joint ownership of some specific intellectual property created by students in the course of their studies or on College-based projects, see General Regulation: Intellectual Property [link to General Regulations]. Goldsmiths students' course work is covered by the Records Management Policy [link].

7. Staff work

The College claims joint ownership of specific intellectual property created by staff in the course of their employment, including teaching packs, lectures and potentially valuable research results.

8. Goldsmiths Research Online (GRO)

The repository Goldsmiths Research Online (GRO) is a showcase for research by academics at Goldsmiths. Research outputs may be made Open Access (OA) here, if the author or creator owns the copyright, or has permission from the copyright owner, often the publisher. GRO provides Creative Commons licences which can be applied to materials in the archive. The deposit guide gives more advice about copyright with a link to ROMEO, the index of publishers' policies on self-archiving by academics.

9. Creative Commons

There are many resources available which can be shared, remixed and re-used freely and legally. Use Search at Creative Commons (cc) or see JISC Digital Media below to find out more. Creative Commons licences can be attached to work published on the internet to indicate that it may be re-used in certain way. 


Information about size of extracts from sources and lists of exclusions for copying and inclusions for e-journals are available on the CLA website.

Quick Links

Internal links




Research Support Librarian: Andrew Gray,