Data Subject Access Request


How to access your personal data

If Goldsmiths processes your personal data, you have a right to know what is held, for what purposes it is processed, and to receive a copy of this data by making a data subject access request.

If you are a current member of staff or student, you may wish to consider whether the College's Informal Access Policy would better meet your needs. This applies in particular if you are a student appealing an examination outcome: the Informal Access Policy (14 days) is designed to enable you to obtain the supporting information you require within the prescribed timescale for an appeal, whereas the Data Subject Access Request procedures (28 days) will not guarantee this.

You also have the right to object to any processing in certain circumstances if you feel this causes you significant damage or distress. The Information Commissioner also offers guidance on the Data Protection Act.

Requests should be sent to dp (, or if sending the request by post:

Information Governance Manager
Goldsmiths, University of London
Deptford Town Hall, Room M1
New Cross
SE14 6NW

The request must include:

These procedures are for obtaining personal data held by the College. Please note that on 1 July, 2008 the Students' Union became a separate data controller. Personal data held by the Union is now only obtainable directly from the Union. Contact reception (  for advice on how to submit a request.