Advance payment of tuition fees

This page explains who needs to pay tuition fees in advance, how to pay and what to do if you would like a refund.

Primary page content

Who needs to pay in advance

If you are an international fee-paying student, then you will need to make the payment or show us evidence that you have an official sponsor.

Amount to pay

The advance payment is £4,000, and this will be deducted from your total tuition fees. If you are applying for a Student visa, we will include the payment details on your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement.

Deadline for payment

You should make your payment as soon as possible once you have accepted your unconditional offer to study with us. If you need a Student visa, we can't start the CAS process until you have made the payment, so we encourage you to pay as quickly as you can.

Official sponsor

We use the UK Visas and Immigration definition of official sponsorship. This means that we will accept sponsorship from any university, government, international organisation or international company. International means that the company has offices in more than one country. Unfortunately, private sponsorship isn't acceptable.

The following are also considered to be official sponsors (If you are fully funded by any of the following organisations/schemes below, you won't need to make the advance payment, but you will need to provide evidence of your sponsorship. For example, a copy of your sponsorship letter should be uploaded when you complete the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) Assessment Form):

  • US Federal Loans
  • Chevening Scholarships
  • British Council funding
  • Any Goldsmiths scholarship or award (providing it covers at least your full tuition fees)

There might be other sponsors that meet the definition of 'official sponsorship'. Please email immigration ( with a copy of your sponsorship letter, and we will make an assessment for you.

Proof of payment

There are several ways to make your Advance Fee Payment, but we recommend that you pay by credit card online if you are able to. This is because we usually receive online credit card payments within 24-48 hours.

Payments made by bank transfer or via Western Union can take a week or more to be received, so paying this way can delay your visa application.

We suggest you upload the proof of your payment to the additional documents section when you complete the Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) Assessment Form. This will help us to speed up the CAS process during the peak time


The deposit is non-refundable unless there are exceptional circumstances as set out in the CAS deposit refunds policy.

If you are eligible for a refund, you need to request it by emailing registry( as soon as possible.

If you defer your place, we will usually keep your payment until you join us the following year unless you request a refund.