Jonathan has worked to give dramatic writers the tools they need to build better careers and change working cultures.
Jonathan is curator of The Fence, which he set up in 2003. The Fence is an international network of playwrights and cultural operators. It currently has over 250 members across 50 countries and has met 26 times. Fence 26 was in Cairo in March 2018
He put together the Janus project (developed out of the Fence), which with EU Culture funding and British Council support translated 16 new plays from across Europe and presented them as staged readings at Festivals in Tampere, Finland; Graz, Austria and Leeds, UK.
He was Director of writernet, a UK based organisation which gave dramatic writers the tools they need to build better careers and change the culture in which they work. Over 15 years he created regional, national and international networks, delivered a wide range of targeted playwright development programmes, co-produced new plays, wrote and published a range of guides, reports and articles on many aspects of the broader theatre writing ecology.
- BA Hons English & American Literature with Drama, UEA, 1983
- Post-graduate diploma in Theatre Directing, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, 1989
Jonathan has worked since 2002 as Associate Lecturer on the MA in Arts Administration & Cultural Policy, Institute of Creative and Cultural Entrepreneurship at Goldsmiths, University of London.
From July 2013 to January 2015 he also Convened the MA in Writing for Performance and Dramaturgy for the Theatre and Performance Department at Goldsmiths.
Area of supervision
Currently co-supervising a PhD on carnival and education.
Areas of interest focus on playwrighting and dramaturgy in international cultural contexts, theatres of learning disability.
- Visiting Fellow at the Department of Film, Theatre & Television, University of Reading (2017-2020)
- External Assessor for the MA in Scriptwriting, University of East Anglia (2002-2017)
- External Examiner for the BA Drama and Scriptwriting - University of Northumbria (2014-2018)
- Expert Advisor and ex-Trustee at Ambitious About Autism, the national charity for autism education
- Chair of Vital Xposure; previously Vice Chair of ATC and the Playwrights Studio Scotland
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Arts
- Artistic Associate at Az Theatre
From November 2018 - May 2021 Jonathan is Project Dramaturg on Ogmius, an EU Erasmus+ funded project. November 2014 - March 2017 Jonathan was Project Dramaturg on Crossing The Line - an EU Creative Europe funded collaboration project with the same partners: Mind The Gap in Bradford, UK. Moomsteatern in Malmo, Sweden and Compagnie de l’Oisesau Mouche in Roubaox, France: three of the world's leading companies making theatre with professional, learning disabled theatre makers.
You can read his recent piece on Disability Arts for The Guardian here.
- October 2018 Direction and Script Editing on Festival-du-mort at the Bazar Café, La Charité-sur-Loire
- September 2018 Closed reading of Chair, by Yves Baigneres, with actors and director Giles Croft at Goldsmiths.
- August 2018 Dramaturgy with Pauline Heath on her Never Neverland project, for Little Cog & The Arc Stockton
- August 2018 Completed 4-year stint as External Examiner BA Drama & Scriptwriting at Northumbria University.
- June 2018 Directed four- day R&D laboratory on My Heart is in The East with Jessica Litwak, Fred Fortas & Rosie Parker at Bazar Café, La Charité-sur-Loire.
- May 2018 with support from Erasmus +, worked with Event Production students at the Creative Industries Department of the Vilnius Gediminas University on the last 24 hours of preparation of their production.
- March 2018 Fence 26 as part of D-CAF, the Downtown Contemporary Arts Festival in Cairo
- February 2018 Curated playwrights, from Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro and Romania to Hong Kong for a 4-day translation workshop of new plays for young people, for AFTEC
- January 2018 Submitted Large Co-operation Project bid to the Creative Europe programme of the EU for an expansion of the Crossing The Line project.
- October 2017 Ireland has struck oil – but will it be Norway or Nigeria? – a live performance and audio podcast around a near future scenario with The Fence as part of King’s College’s Arts and Humanities Festival: World Service, with Gabriel Gbadamosi and Professor Max Saunders.
- August 2017 Directed two-day R&D laboratory on My Heart is in The East with Jessica Litwak and Fred Fortas at Bazar Café, La Charité sur Loire.
- May 2017 Fence 25 as part of the Festival du Mot, with The Hopper Project at Bazar Café, La Charité sur Loire.
- March 2017 Fence 24 as part of the Cultural Festival in Rokiskis, Lithuania.
- January 2017 Crossing The Line Festival in Roubaix (read interview with journalist Bella Todd for Disability Arts International).
- March 2016 co-curated Plays for Young People symposium and workshop in Hong Kong, with Uk, Swedish and Hong Kong artists, for AFTEC
- October 2015 Keynote Speaker at the first convening on Relaxed Performances in China in Hong Kong October 2015, for AFTEC
- June 2015: Fence 21 as part of the Schillertage Festival at The Nationalteater in Mannheim and also in partnership with TiG7. Theme – Closed Societies.
- May 2015 Directed Rehearsed reading of Jessica Litwak's My Heart is in the East, her new play set in 11th Century Cordoba. The play will also be produced at La Mama in New York in 2017.
- January 2015: Fence 20 Eugene O'Neill Theatre Centre, Connecticut and Lark Play Development Center New York, The Play Company and NITE