Information for students from Hong Kong

Here’s our guide to studying at Goldsmiths for students from Hong Kong. You'll be able to find everything from completing your application to adjusting to life in the UK.

Primary page content


You make your application through UCAS, an online application system. The system allows you to choose up to five different universities and apply with one application.

Applications open on 1 September for entry the following September. The normal closing date is 26 January, but some courses will accept applications until 30 June. You are advised to apply as early as possible as courses have limited places.

You should refer to individual programme pages to see whether your course has any additional application requirements. Applications are usually assessed within two months and can be managed online via UCAS.

Once we've made a decision on your application you'll receive either an unconditional offer, a conditional offer or a rejection. Find out more about what these offers mean in our video:



For the majority of postgraduate programmes you can apply via our website. Simply click the ‘apply now’ button on your chosen programme page. Some programmes have different application procedures, so always check the programme page before making your application.

Once we've made a decision on your application you'll receive either an unconditional offer, a conditional offer or a rejection. Find out more about what these offers mean in our video: 


What to include in your application

As well as information about your education history, and the course you’re choosing, you’ll also need to provide a personal statement as part of your application. This is your chance to explain how your academic experience is relevant to the course you want to study. You’ll also have an opportunity to tell us about relevant extracurricular activities you’ve taken part in and how they make you stand out.

Find out more about what to include in your personal statement at undergraduate and postgraduate level:




English language requirements

Non-native speakers of English need to be able to demonstrate the required level of English language competence to enrol on our programmes. Find out more about our English language requirements.


Goldsmiths accepts HKDSE for undergraduate entry. You will need to have passed Chinese, Liberal Studies and English with a minimum Level 3 and achieved at least grades 4,4,4 in three subjects (including at least two electives). 

We will also accept A-levels, an International Baccalaureate or a recognised Access or Foundation course. Please check programme pages for individual entrance requirements.

IBCP (International Baccalaureate Career Related Programme) applicants will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Typically applicants would be expected to have taken two IB components at Higher Level, in relevant subjects, and achieved grades of 6, 5 plus an appropriate pass in the Career Related qualification.

When we consider your application we’ll assess your test scores and academic grades alongside your personal statement, reference letter and extracurricular activities.


Postgraduate taught
For entry to postgraduate programmes you will normally need a Bachelors degree in relevant subject. Refer to individual course pages to see whether there are any additional application requirements.

Research degrees
You will normally need to have completed a Masters degree in a subject relevant to your proposed postgraduate study. There may also be other specific entrance requirements. You can refer to individual course pages to find out what these are.

Programmes for international students

We offer courses that have been specifically designed for international students. You may want to consider these if you don’t meet the entry requirements for our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. These will help you with your English language and academic skills and are run by our English Language Centre. Find out more about the courses we offer.

Study Abroad

Normally, you will need to have been attending university for at least 1 year. Find out more about the programme on our Study Abroad pages.


Find out more about our fees.

Scholarships and bursaries

Goldsmiths has a series of scholarships for international students applying for postgraduate and research programmes.  If you’re an alumni you may also be eligible for discounted fees. For further information, please use our scholarships finder.


Find out more about applying for a visa.

The International team visits Hong Kong regularly to take part in higher education events, deliver presentations, interview potential applicants and catch up with local alumni. If you’re unable to visit Goldsmiths in person then these events are your chance to meet us in your home country. See our list of upcoming events.

Can’t make these dates? We also run regular online events, including webinars, virtual tours and chat sessions.

Agents in Hong Kong

We work with several agents in Hong Kong who can give you information about studying at Goldsmiths and help you with the application process. See our list of representatives for more details.

There is a large Hong Kong Chinese community based in London. Generally international students find it easy to transition to life in London, but if you’re struggling then we can offer a whole range of support. This includes PAL (our student led mentor scheme), and our on-site Careers Service and Counselling Service. Find out more about the support we offer.

Take a look at how some of our students have adjusted to life in the UK:


You are eligible for NHS healthcare if you are enrolled on a full time course lasting six months or longer. Please ensure you register with a local GP. The nearest hospital is Lewisham hospital.

Feeling homesick?

Food and drink
Chinese food is readily available in UK supermarkets but if you’re after something specialist then there are a number of Chinese grocery shops close to campus, including Yip Oriental Store on New Cross Road and Anything Chinese in Deptford.

Time Out London has a list of the best Chinese restaurants in London -  including the best places for dim sum.

You can also get a taste of home in Central London’s Chinatown - Although it’s touristy it offers a huge range of shops and restaurants.

Many London-based Chinese people still celebrate traditional Chinese holidays, and Londoners have embraced Chinese New Year. Check Time Out London for listings.

Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance
Goldsmiths has a Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance, which is run in partnership with the Beijing Dance Academy. As well as offering Mandarin classes they also promote Chinese performance and culture and provide opportunities for academic visits and exchanges to explore research and creative projects with the Beijing Dance Academy. They also organise celebrations around traditional Chinese holidays.

ABACUS society
Goldsmiths has a Chinese society that promotes the country’s culture through weekly meetings, Dim sum outings and film screenings.  It’s also a great place to connect with fellow Chinese students.

Take a tour of campus

Join us at our next Open Day
Book now