Welcome Week takes place between Friday 21 and Friday 28 September. Whether you’re moving into Goldsmiths student accommodation or attending one of our Welcome events, this page has all the information you need to help plan your journey here.
Our address is:
Goldsmiths, University of London
+44 (0)20 7919 7171
If you have booked Goldsmiths student accommodation you will be able to move in from midday (12:00) on Friday 21 September 2018.
Getting to Goldsmiths by public transport
Goldsmiths is well connected to the public transport network in London.
You can use the journey planner on tfl.gov.uk to plan your travel to and from anywhere in London. Google Maps can help you plan any journeys from outside of London. Or you can use National Rail to plan your train journey.
We also recommend the Citymapper app for finding your way around London: citymapper.com/london
The following buses stop outside Goldsmiths: 21, 36, 53, 136, 171, 172, 177, 225, 321, 343, 436 and 453.
Goldsmiths is less than five minutes’ walk from both New Cross and New Cross Gate railway stations.
From New Cross railway station
Turn right out of the station and right again at the top into New Cross Road.
For the Richard Hoggart and Rutherford Buildings:
- Cross New Cross Road at the pedestrian traffic lights into Amersham Road, keeping to the right-hand pavement
- Follow the road around to the right into Parkfield Road
- Cross at the pedestrian lights and Richard Hoggart Building is ahead of you. Rutherford Building is to your right
For Deptford Town Hall Building and Ben Pimlott Building:
- Walk along New Cross Road, past the first set of pedestrian lights
- Cross over Pagnell Street
- Continue walking and then cross by the next set of pedestrian lights
- Turn right and walk along New Cross Road, cross Laurie Grove (on the left)
- Deptford Town Hall Building is ahead on your left
- Ben Pimlott Building is in St James which is the next road on the left
From New Cross Gate railway station
Turn left out of the station and cross the road at the pedestrian lights.
Deptford Town Hall Building is to your left.
For the Ben Pimlott Building, turn right and take the first left into St James. You will see the entrance through on the left hand side, just before the nursery school.
For the Richard Hoggart Building:
- Once you have crossed the road, turn left and walk along New Cross Road, past Laurie Grove onto Lewisham Way
- Walk past the glass-fronted Rutherford Building and cross over Dixon Road (on the right)
- Richard Hoggart Building is on the right immediately after this
Getting to Goldsmiths by car
If you are driving to Goldsmiths accommodation please follow the advice sent out by our Accommodation team.
You can plan your journey on Google Maps.
There is no public parking on the Goldsmiths campus.
From Central London
- Take the A2 towards Dover via the Old Kent Road
- At the end of Old Kent Road (on the New Cross Gate one-way system) turn into New Cross Road
- Keep in the right hand lane and shortly after Sainsbury's take the A20 fork to Lewisham
- Turn right at the traffic lights into Lewisham Way – Goldsmiths is on the left
From Kent, Surrey, Sussex, or north if using Blackwall Tunnel or Dartford River Crossing (southbound)
- Follow the A2 or A20 towards London (using M25 or South Circular road to join the nearest of these)
- On the A20, after passing through Lewisham, the Richard Hoggart Building is clearly visible on the left after about one mile
- On the A2, follow the left turn after New Cross Station into Amersham Road, turn right at the traffic lights into Lewisham Way – Goldsmiths is on the left downhill
Airport transfer from London Heathrow Airport (Friday 21 September 2018 only)
You can book a free coach transfer from London Heathrow Airport on Friday 21 September 2018. The journey from London Heathrow to Goldsmiths will take approximately 90 minutes to two hours.
Meeting point at London Heathrow Airport
Goldsmiths staff and Student Ambassadors will be at the meeting point in the arrival area of Terminal 3, which is after you have cleared immigration and collected your luggage.
If you land in a different terminal you will need to make your own way to Terminal 3 using the airport's free transfer service. Find out more about getting around Heathrow.
You will be dropped off at Goldsmiths, University of London. If you are staying in student accommodation, Student Ambassadors will be on hand to help you find your way there.
For each seat booked you can bring two pieces of luggage and one small bag such as a handbag or small backpack.
If you plan to bring any oversized luggage, such as a bicycle, you should indicate this on your reservation and we will contact you to discuss if we can accommodate it.
Making your own way
From London Heathrow Airport (LHR)
Using London Underground
(Around 70 minutes to Goldsmiths)
Take the London Underground (Tube) Piccadilly line eastbound to Green Park. From there take the Jubilee line to London Bridge. At London Bridge take a National Rail train to New Cross or New Cross Gate.
Using Heathrow Express
(Around 70 minutes to Goldsmiths)
The Heathrow Express offers fast, frequent trains from all Heathrow Terminals to London Paddington. The journey time is approximately 15 minutes from Heathrow Central (located between Terminals 2 and 3) and 20 minutes from Heathrow Terminal 5. Shuttle trains connect Terminal 4 to Heathrow Central. Tickets for the Heathrow Express are expensive unless pre- booked online weeks in advance.
From London Paddington take the London Underground Hammersmith & City line train eastbound to Whitechapel and transfer to a southbound London Overground train to either New Cross or New Cross Gate.
Taxis will cost £50-£100. You should book your taxi in advance as picking up one at the airport will cost more.
From London Gatwick Airport (LGW)
(Around 60 minutes to Goldsmiths)
London Gatwick Airport’s railway station offers direct train services to and from central London. From Gatwick Airport station travel to East Croydon or London Bridge where you should transfer to a National Rail service to New Cross Gate.
Taxis will cost £60-120. You should book your taxi in advance as picking up one at the airport will cost more.
From London City Airport (LCY)
(Around 45 minutes to Goldsmiths)
Take the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) from London City Airport station to Shadwell station. Transfer there to the London Overground and travel southbound to either New Cross or New Cross Gate.
Taxis will cost £20-30. You should book your taxi in advance as picking up one at the airport will cost more.
From London Stansted Airport (STN)
(Around 100 minutes to Goldsmiths)
Take a train from Stansted Airport station to London Liverpool Street. From there take a London Underground Hammersmith & City line train to Whitechapel. Change there for the London Overground and travel southbound to either New Cross or New Cross Gate.
Taxis will cost £70-130. You should book your taxi in advance as picking up one at the airport will cost more.
From London Luton Airport (LTN)
(Around 100 minutes to Goldsmiths)
Shuttle buses connect the airport terminal with Luton Airport Parkway railway station. Tickets for the shuttle bus can be purchased at the airport. From Luton Airport Parkway station take the train to London Bridge where you should transfer to a National Rail service to New Cross Gate.
Taxis will cost £70-130. You should book your taxi in advance as picking one up at the airport will cost more.