The Global Opportunities team are here to support you with your application in advance of submission.
Primary page content
If you’d like to get some advice in person, come to one of our weekly drop-ins in the SPACE (RHB 180-181) on Wednesdays 9.30am - 12.30pm in term time, or come and see us on the 3rd floor of the Caroline Graveson Building.
You can also contact us by email and phone.
We have students from our partner universities study here during the Autumn and Spring terms as well as students who have just returned from an international placement. If you are interested in speaking to someone, please do let us know and we can connect you.
Academic colleagues in your department and the Careers Service can also provide support both in advising on placements and in preparing you before you go.
Filling out the application form
Our application forms ask for a personal statement outlining why you are applying to study, work or volunteer abroad, what skills and experience you have that make you suitable, what skills and experience you will gain and how the placement will benefit your studies and career.
You will also be asked how you will represent Goldsmiths in a positive way.
Once the deadline has passed all applications will be considered by a panel who will review against criteria including:
- Eligibility of the applicant and the proposed host organisation
- Personal statement - motivation
- Academic standing - you must not be on academic probation – we will verify this with your department as part of the assessment process
Applicants who have not received funding from our team in the past, will be prioritised for funding.
Applications are competitive so funding is not guaranteed. Here are a few tips to help make a good application:
- Make sure you have thoroughly researched the organisation and country
- Write a good supporting statement including:
- Why you have chosen the organisation and country
- What skills and experience you have that make you suitable
- What will you gain from the experience
- How you will be a good ambassador for Goldsmiths whilst away
- Write in a clear and concise style. The Hemingway is a useful tool for losing that waffle!
- Double-check you have filled in everything correctly and that you submit the application before the deadline
- Check out our How to write a great Go Abroad application blog post