Immigration and visas

Students may need a visa to study or work abroad. The host university or organisation will provide advice and guidance on immigration.

Primary page content

If you are studying and working abroad, you will need to check whether you need a visa for your destination country.

  • Check the country information page on the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office website for advice on entry requirements. Please note that following the UK’s departure from the EU there are new immigration requirements in place for UK nationals entering EU countries.
  • Contact your host organisation for advice and guidance on whether you need a visa
  • Check that your passport is in date and is valid for a sufficient period after your planned return
  • If you are a non-UK passport holder and hold a visa to study in the UK, you will need to inform the Goldsmiths Immigration Advisory Service (IAS) of your plans
  • Check what steps you need to take upon arrival to confirm your arrival and your status in your host country. Make sure you also understand the rules of your visa and what you are allowed to do on it

These steps can take some time so it is worth starting this process well in advance of departure.