Applying for a Student visa from outside the UK

How to apply for your Student visa in your home country.

Primary page content

If you are an international student applying for a Student visa outside of the UK you will need to make your application from the Country in which you normally live.

You can make your application up to six months in advance of your course start date and once you have your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement.

We recommend that you check the visa processing times in your country so that you can plan ahead.

Visa application process

  1. Receive your CAS statement from Goldsmiths

  2. Open and follow the Student visa application help guide (PDF) produced by the Immigration Advisory Service. Not every single question is covered in the guide as many of them should be straightforward to answer.

  3. Complete your online visa application in your home country. If we checked your financial documents and approved them, you must submit your online visa application before the bank statements expire, which is 31 days from the date they were issued to you by the bank.

  4. Pay your Immigration Health Surcharge

  5. Pay for your visa application

  6. Choose where you want to pick up your visa from when you get to the UK. You must use the secure code (2HE537) we provided you with when we sent your CAS statement so that your visa (BRP) will be sent directly to Goldsmiths.

  7. Book an appointment for your ‘biometric’ data to be taken

  8. Submit and print your application

Current issues for visa applicants outside of the UK

If you’re planning to travel to the UK, you’ll need to make sure you comply with all COVID-19 travel restrictions. Please check the travel advice issued by your carrier and check what you need to do before entering the UK.

Visa Application Centres (VACs)

Most UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) have resumed services where local restrictions allow.

Priority and super priority services are only available in some locations. If available, you’ll be able to purchase these services when booking your appointment.

For more information and for updates on the status of VACs, including opening times in your country, check with

  • TLS contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East
  • VFS global for all other countries

English language tests are available in most countries but may be temporarily suspended in some countries due to coronavirus restrictions. You can find a list of all approved test centres outside the UK. Check the SELT provider’s website to find out when tests are available and to make sure the test centre is open. Do not contact the test centre directly.

For more information on how you can book your English Language Test, contact either:

Applying for a visa if your visa application centre (VAC) is closed

If your VAC is closed due to coronavirus restrictions, you can apply online and select a VAC in another country worldwide to submit your application and biometrics. You’ll need to make sure you’re permitted to travel to that country beforehand.

You’ll be able to make any type of UK visa application. You must select the country where you would like to submit your biometrics at the start of your application.

TB testing

If you are coming to the UK to study for six months or more and live in a particular country, then you will be required to undertake a TB test. The GOV.UK website has more information and the list of countries which require a TB test.