Financial requirements for a Student visa

To make a Student visa application, you will need to show that you have enough money for your living costs (maintenance funds) and course fees, during your stay in the UK.

Primary page content

You will need to show that you have the following:

  1. Any outstanding tuition fees (this means fees you have not yet paid to Goldsmiths), as stated on your CAS statement
  2. Money for your living costs in the UK, known as 'maintenance', which is currently £1,334 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months. The maximum amount you will need for your living costs is £12,006


If you are studying a Masters Course, you will need to show the following:

Tuition Fees

Any outstanding tuition fees (this means fees you have not yet paid to Goldsmiths), as stated on your CAS statement. The advance fee payment of £3,000 is reduced from this.

If your tuition fee is £18,000, you will need to show £15,000 (£18,000 - £3,000)

Maintenance Expenses

£12,006 (£1,334 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months)


In total, you will need to show - £27,006 (£15,000 + £12,006)

Exemption from meeting the Student visa financial requirements

If you have been living inside the UK for at least 12 months with a valid UK visa at the time of applying for your new Student visa from inside the UK, then you may benefit from being exempt in having to meet any further financial requirements. We will make this assessment from your CAS request form.

However, we may still ask you to provide financial documents to demonstrate that you are able to at least cover the cost of your tuition fees before we support your visa application. This will help us to ensure you are less likely to encounter financial difficulties during your studies, which could end up affecting your enrolment as well as your wellbeing.


If you are eligible to bring any dependents with you as part of your Student Visa application, then you will also need to demonstrate maintenance funds for them, which is currently set at £845 per month up to a maximum of 9 months for each dependent.

Documents required

The documents you need depends on how you are funding your studies.

If you have a bank account in your name you can use this account to demonstrate the required maintenance funds. The account will need to be a current (cash) and the funds in your account must be available immediately.

Funds may be held in a Pension or Investment account provided the account allows the funds to be accessed immediately.

You will need to show your Parent's/ legal guardian's bank statements and:

  • An original birth certificate, certificate of adoption. or court document showing the names of your parents/legal guardians
  • Any document not in English will need to be officially translated
  • A letter of your parents/guardians confirming the relationship, and consent for you to use their funds for studies in the UK


If you have been awarded a scholarship, you can provide a letter confirming the details of your scholarship when you apply for your visa. 

You can be sponsored by an international company, government, scholarship provider or a university. 

You might need to make an advanced payment of tuition fees, but if you have an official sponsor you could be exempt. Find out about advanced payment of tuition fees.

If you are using a US Federal Direct Loan, you can use this as evidence of your application. You should not apply for your visa until you have received your US loan letter as this is your official confirmation of funding.

Other types of student loan are acceptable but only if they are issued by your government as part of an educational loans scheme.

You may be exempt from paying the advance fee payment if you have confirmation of the educational loan.

See our Student Visa Financial Document Guidance (PDF) to find more about acceptable financial documents.