Financial requirements of Tier 4 student visa

To make a Tier 4 visa application, you will need to show that you have enough money for your living costs (maintenance funds) and course fees, during your stay in the UK.

Primary page content

You will need to show that you have the following:

  1. Any outstanding tuition fees (this means fees you have not yet paid to Goldsmiths), as stated on your CAS statement
  2. Money for your living costs in the UK, known as 'maintenance', which is currently £1,265 per month for up to a maximum of 9 months


If you are eligible to bring any dependants with you as part of your Tier 4 visa application, then you will also need to demonstrate maintenance funds for them, which is currently set at £845 per  month upto a maximum of 9 months for each dependant.

Documents required

The documents you need depends on how you are funding your studies.

Funding studies yourself using your personal bank account

If you have a bank account in your name you can use this account to demonstrate the required maintenance funds. The account will need to be a current (cash) and the funds in your account must be available immediately.


Parents funding you

You will need to show your Parent's/ legal guardian's bank statements and:

  • An original birth certificate, certificate of adoption. or court document showing the names of your parents/legal guardians
  • Any document not in English will need to be officially translated
  • A letter of your parents/guardians confirming the relationship, and consent for you to use their funds for studies in the UK


You have a scholarship

If you have been awarded a scholarship, you can provide a letter confirming the details of your scholarship when you apply for your visa. 

You can be sponsored by an international company, government, scholarship provider or a university. 

You might need to make an advanced payment of tuition fees, but if you have an official sponsor you could be exempt. Find out about advanced payment of tuition fees.

You have a Student Loan

If you are using a US Federal Direct Loan, you can use this as evidence of your application. You should not apply for your visa until you have received your US loan letter as this is your official confirmation of funding.

Other types of student loan are acceptable but only if they are issued by your government as part of an educational loans scheme.

You may be exempt from paying the advance fee payment if you have confirmation of the educational loan.


See our Tier 4 Financial Document guide to find more about acceptable financial documents.

Acceptable banks if you're using bank statements

If you are from one of the countries below you need to check if your bank is ‘accepted’ in line with the visa requirements:

  • Bangladesh
  • Cameroon
  • Ghana
  • India 
  • Iran
  • Pakistan
  • Philippines
  • Sri Lanka

See GOV.UK's list of acceptable and unacceptable institutions for each country.  This list is reguarly updated.

If your bank is listed under ‘do not satisfactorily verify financial statements’ your application mayis likely to be refused.