This page will guide you through some of the most common email functions across different mail platforms.
Primary page content
The following outlines the correct way to add additional blocks of information to the email signature.
Outlook for Windows
- Click on File in the top-left corner of your Outlook window, then from the left-hand side panel select Options
- Select from the left-hand menu Mail, and then click on the Signatures... button located about mid-way through the page
- Click on the New button, enter a name for your new signature and click OK
- Then enter your message in the Edit Signature box, select if this signature gets added to New messages & Replies/forwards then click OK
Outlook for Mac
- Open Outlook. Click on Outlook in the menu bar and select Preferences, then click on Signatures
- Click on Signature name, type in your signature in the box and choose for which accounts and when to use signature
- Close all windows and the settings will be saved
- Once you have Mail open, click on Mail from the menu bar, then Preferences > Signatures
- Select your Goldsmiths email (description name may vary as you can set it up as you want), then select Signature #1 and type your signature in the box
Microsoft 365 Outlook for web
- Once you are logged into your emails in your web browser, click on the cogwheel icon on the top-right of the browser and select View all Outlook settings.
- You can now see a new menu on the left-hand side. Select Mail > Layout > Compose and reply
- Type the signature in the box provided and save
Outlook - Windows
To add an automatic reply on Outlook for Windows:
- Access Outlook, then select File > Automatic Replies (Out of Office)
- Type your desired automatic reply. You can customise some parameters including date and time and whether you want to set up the reply for internal and/or external senders only
Outlook 2016 - Mac
To add an automatic reply on Outlook for Mac:
- Access Outlook, then select from the Menu Bar Tools > Out of Office
- Type and customise your automatic reply here, then press OK
Office 365 Outlook for web
To add an automatic reply on OWA:
- Log into your emails via goldmail.gold.ac.uk
- Click on the cogwheel icon on the top-right corner of the window and select View all Outlook Settings
- You should now see a menu on the left-hand side. Select Mail > Automatic Reply
- Type and customise your automatic reply, then press Save at the bottom.
We do not recommend forwarding emails, as it is against the Email Policy (PDF) and prevents Golsmiths from monitoring and safeguarding this data.
Focused Inbox separates your inbox into two tabs: Focused and Others. Your most important emails are on the Focused tab while the rest remain easily accessible, but out of the way, on the Other tab.
To enable or disable the Focused Inbox sorting:
- Log into your emails via outlook.com/gold.ac.uk
- Click on the cogwheel icon on the top-right corner and select Display Settings
- A window should appear in which there are tabs, select the Focused Inbox tab
- You can select Sort Messages into Focused and Others to enable the focused sorting, or Don't sort messages to disable it
If you receive an email of which you are unsure of the sender or content, please do not open it or click on any links until you are sure it is a trusted email. You can forward the email to the Service Desk if you need confirmation.
If the email affects a large number of users on campus we can block it on the server, otherwise you can mark the email as junk and delete it.
Emails in your junk folder can also be blocked by selecting the desired email(s) and clicking on the Block button on the menu at the top of your email list.