Primary page content
The Research Degrees unit within the Graduate School oversees all aspects of MPhil and PhD examinations.
Our Guideline documents set out the Research Degree Examination process in detail. It is recommended that all prospective Examiners and Independent Chairs consult this Guidance prior to conducting an MPhil or a PhD examination.
Covid-19 interim adjustmentsDue to the current restrictions relating to travel and face-to-face contact, the following interim measures have been introduced:
- Candidates are asked to submit in digital format only (no soft-bound copies required, unless this is requested by Examiners)
- Viva voce examination may be held via video conference, provided all parties have regard for GG1b - Good Practice Guidelines for Video-conference Viva Voce Examinations (COVID-19)
- Candidates are asked to deposit their final theses in digital format only (no hard-bound copies required
The Graduate School can confirm that these arrangements will continue to apply until the end of the Academic Year (24 September 2021).
- EG1 - Doctoral examinations timeline (PDF)
- EG2 - Guidelines for Research Degree Examiner (PDF)
- EG3 - Research Degree Examination Outcomes (PDF)
- GG1b - Good Practice Guidelines for Video-conference (PDF)
- EF2 - Independent Preliminary Report Form
- EF3a - PhD examination outcome Form
- EF3b - MPhil examination outcome Form
- EF4 - Final Joint Report Form
- EF5a - PhD Amendment Report Form
- EF5b - MPhil Amendment Report Form
- P002 - Fee payment claim form for staff member (Excel)
- N002 - Fee payment claim form for non-staff member (Excel)
- N003 - Oversees payment claim form for non-staff member (Excel)
- N004 - Expenses claim form for non-staff member (Excel)
We are here to offer guidance and support to Examiners and Independent Chairs at any stage of the process; so please do get in touch via email: research-degrees (@gold.ac.uk).