Image description

Study Abroad Funding

Student page

You can get funding for studying abroad from a range of sources.

Erasmus+ (long term)

Study placement grants

All students undertaking Erasmus+ study placements receive a grant to support with travel and living costs.

You will be asked to sign a grant agreement to receive this grant. This documents confirms the total grant, dates of the mobility and payment terms.

Key details:

  • Your Erasmus+ grant will be paid in GBP into your UK bank account
  • The exchange rate we use to convert the EUR amount into GBP is set annually by the European Commission
  • Your Erasmus+ grant allocation will be worked out using the dates provided in your learning agreement
  • You will receive 80% of the grant before your exchange and the remaining 20% upon completion of your exchange/traineeship and of all paperwork
  • See Study Placement funding (PDF) for current grant rates

Students from low income backgrounds

Students undertaking Erasmus+ placements who have a household income of under £25,000 are eligible for an additional €120 top-up per month for study (2018-19 rates).

An application form will be provided to all students.

Students with disabilities

Erasmus+ offers additional funds for disabled students to cover any additional costs required for support or equipment while abroad. Information will be provided for students who declare a disability during the application process.

Santander

Funding support

For 18/19 we have also received funding from Santander Universities to support students to study abroad.

Students will be able to apply for grants to support with travel and subsistence during their time abroad. Santander funding will also be available to students who want to spend less than a month studying abroad.

Student Finance

Home/EU students

Home/EU undergraduates should still apply for Student Finance in the normal way.

There is a section on the application form about studying or working abroad for part of the year which needs to be completed (if you’re completing a traineeship outside of the academic year this doesn’t apply).

You will still receive a maintenance payment for the term you will be away but it will be paid at the Overseas rate, rather than the higher Living in London rate which you receive as a Goldsmiths student.

If you completed your student finance application before you knew you were taking part in the Erasmus+ programme, you’ll need to inform the Student Loans Company (SLC) later that you will be studying or working abroad.

For further details on student loans contact the SLC (slc.co.uk). If you need detailed advice, the Student Centre has advisors who specialise in Student Finance.

Travel grants

Students receiving student finance from Student Finance England or Wales can claim for additional support if eligible for the following:

  • up to three return journeys between the UK and the overseas institution they are studying at
  • the cost of a child/children’s fare between the UK and the overseas institution if it’s necessary for a lone parent who’s also a student to take them abroad
  • mandatory medical insurance, visas and medical expenses for the purpose of studying abroad

Once you have applied for your student finance, if you are eligible to apply for a Travel Grant, you will automatically be sent the correct forms to complete.

Students who are studying abroad must complete the Travel Abroad Expenses Form.

You will also need to ask Goldsmiths to complete the Course Abroad Form.

You can apply for the Travel Grant at any time during the academic year and there’s no limit to how many forms you can submit.

Goldsmiths

Access to Study Abroad bursaries

A limited number of mobility bursaries between £100 - £800 are available to co-fund Erasmus+ study placements for underrepresented undergraduate students.

If you are interested and eligible, you will be provided with the application form. The eligibility criteria are outlined in Go Abroad Widening Participation Criteria (PDF).

Receiving funding

Before receiving your funding, successful applicants will need to submit a range of paperwork including:

  • A signed grant agreement
  • A travel insurance risk assessment form
  • A learning agreement with your host university outlining your module choices
  • Bank details form

You may also need to complete an online language test.

You will then be paid 80% of the bursary up front. The final 20% will be paid to you upon completion of the placement and submission of the following: 

  • Confirmation of completion of the placement
  • Post-placement questionnaire
  • End of placement language test
  • Case study submission – written, video, photo, blog

If the length of your study period changes or you do not complete your study abroad, you must inform the  and may be required to pay back all or part of the award. 

Was this page helpful?