How studying abroad works

Students can study abroad at one of Goldsmiths’ partner universities around the world.

Primary page content

You will go to another university for a term and take modules there and achieve credits. You will bring these credits back to Goldsmiths and they will count towards your degree.

Your academic department will help you to choose modules at your host university that fit with your programme of study here at Goldsmiths. PhD students will conduct research at their host university.

When you can go

Most undergraduate students will study abroad in the autumn or spring term of their second year. Some departments also permit students to study abroad in the autumn term of their third year.

There are also opportunities for Ph.D. students and in some cases Masters students too, although it is harder to find time within a one year course.

Where you can go

You can only go to a university that your department has a partnership with. Different partnerships are open to students depending on your level of study.  See the list of universities for each department.

It is possible for dual honours students to study abroad. You will need approval from both academic departments. You may be able to choose a university that is partnered with either of your departments depending on the compulsory elements of your degree. If you have any queries, please contact the Global Opportunities team or your International Liaison Officer.


Applications are now open until 23 February 2024. You will need to apply to us, but your department will make the final decision on whether to nominate you or not. Study abroad opportunities can be competitive, so spaces are not guaranteed.

We partner with universities that offer courses taught in English, but in some cases, proof of proficiency in the local language is necessary. For example, you need to know some Japanese and pass a language test to go to any of our partner universities in Japan. More details on how to apply.


You can receive funding for this period abroad as part of Turing scheme.

If your application is successful, you will receive funding for the duration of your study abroad experience. This is designed to help you with living costs. You will need to make your own accommodation arrangements, although some universities do offer students a space in their halls of residence.

Find out more

If you're interested in studying abroad, you can get in touch with the Global Opportunities team.