For a variety of reasons, you may begin a degree programme but then find yourself wanting to change course or institution.

Primary page content

We welcome applications from students wanting to transfer, but there are some things to consider before you apply:

Notifying your current institution

You may want to approach your personal tutor or central support services to discuss your situation and any implications of transferring your studies.

Visa implications

If you are an International student studying on a visa you will also need to seek advice from your institution’s immigration team.

Student finance

You will also need to consider any impact on your Student Finance England loan arrangements.

Final degree classification 

For more information on how your final degree classification is calculated, read Goldsmiths’ regulations

You also need to make sure that the course you want to apply for will accept Year 2 applications. The majority of our courses do, but there are some exceptions. These are:

  • BA Fine Art
  • BA Fine Art & History of Art
  • Media (all UG programmes)
  • BMus Popular Music
  • BA Social Work
  • BA History pathways
  • LLB Law pathways
  • BMus/BSc Electronic Music
  • BA Social and Community Work

You'll only be accepted on to a programme if there are places available after current students have been allocated their place. 

How to apply

You will need to submit a new application via UCAS and select Point of Entry Year 2 on the application. You'll be asked to provide the following information as part of your application:

  • A recent transcript outlining all modules, courses and assignments completed or being taken as part of the current programme of study and marks received (these would need to be related to the subject you wish to transfer to at Goldsmiths)
  • A predicted grade/classification from a current tutor, preferably as part of a written academic reference
  • A list of all academic and other relevant achievements to date - in particular your level 3 qualifications (A-levels or BTECs for example)
  • A statement including reasons for requesting entry to Goldsmiths for that particular programme

You can email any supplementary information once you have submitted your application to

If you’re made an offer

If you receive an offer, it will be conditional on completion of your current year of study and gaining 120 credits or 60 ECTS credits at a 2.1 average.

If we are unable to offer you a place for second-year study, we will automatically consider offering you a place for the first year and it is therefore important that if you receive an offer you check on UCAS which year it is for.

Current Goldsmiths students

Transferring from Goldsmiths to a different institution

If you are thinking of changing to a different institution, we suggest you speak with your personal tutor first. You will need to complete and sign a change of status form (withdrawal/leave your studies completely) that will also need to be approved by your senior tutor. Once approved it will be submitted to the Registry Operations team for processing.

The School Hubs will be able to give information about how to gain certification for the modules you have completed. For each full-time year of an undergraduate degree you complete you are awarded 120 CATS credits or 60 ECTS credits.

Please note your final degree classification may be weighted differently across the years at different institutions. If you are an International student studying on a Tier 4 visa (now called Student immigration permission) you will also need to speak with the Goldsmiths Immigration Advisory Service.

Transferring within Goldsmiths to a different degree

If you are currently on a degree programme at Goldsmiths and thinking about transferring to a different degree programme within your academic department you will need to consult with your departmental senior tutor in the first instance. If your department is supportive of a move, you will need to arrange this via the school hubs).

It is unlikely you will be able to transfer into the second (or third) year of a degree programme in a different academic department. If you are an International student studying on a visa you will also need to speak with the Immigration Advisory Service.

Apply through Clearing to join Goldsmiths this September
Apply now