Christian A Eichert is a lecturer in Marketing and Consumer Behaviour at the Institute of Management Studies at Goldsmiths, University of London. He is currently finishing his PhD in Marketing and Consumption Studies at Cass Business School. Christian started his first company aged 14, and has more than 15 years of experience in founding, managing, and consulting for businesses in Europe and the United States. He has worked in a variety of industries, including online B2C and B2B services, datacenter and IP infrastructure, blockchain technology, education, and investment management and advisory.
Christian's research is highly interdisciplinary and mostly informed by theories from sociology, anthropology, and gender and queer studies. His current projects encompass three topical and theoretical domains of inquiry: (1) vulnerable and marginalized communities and subcultures, for example how consumers avoid, manage, and resist social stigma in the marketplace; (2) gender and sexuality, for example how consumers navigate markets for casual intimacy on smartphone apps such as "Tinder" or "Grindr"; and (3) digitalisation and globalisation, for example how new technologies facilitate the emergence of location-independent work and consumer lifestyles. Combining his background as an academic and serial entrepreneur, Christian aspires to contribute with his research and teaching to both, the creation (and critique) of scientific knowledge, as well as its empirical applicability through practical relevance.
Christian's work has attracted funding from a variety of funding bodies, including the Friedrich Naumann Foundation, the Jon Moulton Charitable Trust, or the Worshipful Company of Management Consultants in the City of London, among others. Christian has presented his research at leading international conferences, is a past fellow of the AMA Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium, and has been an invited young scientist at the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings on Economic Sciences. As an expert commentator he has been featured in media outlets such as the BBC or the Economist.
- BA & MA Business Economics and General Management with Distinction (Witten/Herdecke)
- MSc Social and Cultural Psychology with Distinction (London School of Economics and Political Science)
- MRes Marketing with Distinction (Cass Business School, City, University of London)
- PhD (cand) Marketing (Cass Business School, City, University of London)
- Consumer Culture Theory and Sociology of Consumption
- Vulnerable, Marginalized, and Stigmatized Consumers and Communities
- Sexuality and Intimacy
- Digitalisation and Globalisation
- Social Theory
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Management of Innovations
Coffin, Jack; Eichert, Christian A